sendero 300RUM,VortexPST6-24x50: What mount/rings?

ttaillac

I know some of the experts on these forums hate these types of newbie posts. And even though I've searched and searched and found lots of advice, I didn't find anything specific to my set up. I recently bought a new Sendero II 300RUM and have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on order (should get it Jan 4th). I need advice on what mount & rings to get that won't bankrupt me. Looking to spend no more than $100.

Of course - This is my first attempt at long range shooting. Not trying to break into F-Class shooting, just looking to have fun on the weekends at the lease. (Already starting to work on some loads using Retumbo and Berger 210.) Mostly -I will use this rifle for hunting (elk, mule deer, etc.).

Thank you for your advice.

I know some of the experts on these forums hate these types of newbie posts. And even though I've searched and searched and found lots of advice, I didn't find anything specific to my set up. I recently bought a new Sendero II 300RUM and have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on order (should get it Jan 4th). I need advice on what mount & rings to get that won't bankrupt me. Looking to spend no more than $100.

Of course - This is my first attempt at long range shooting. Not trying to break into F-Class shooting, just looking to have fun on the weekends at the lease. (Already starting to work on some loads using Retumbo and Berger 210.) Mostly -I will use this rifle for hunting (elk, mule deer, etc.).

Thank you for your advice.

I just bought a Sendero SF II 300 RUM w/ Leupold 3-9 X 40mm LR Duplex im Using the Remington Z2 Alloyed Rings. This is one Hell of a Rifle.

SO - you think I could use the Burris Tactical low rings with their 20 MOA Pactinny base?

If you read what I did you will see what yours should look like when mounted with the components I used.

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Thanks Joseph. Yeah - I read your write-up. I'm looking at the exact same setup. EGW base (20 MOA) and Burris Tactical Rings. Everyone (that doesn't seem to have experience) keeps telling me that the 50mm scope generally needs the high to extra high rings. And since I don't have (or really want) a cheek rest added to my Remington Sendero, I'd like to keep it as close to the barrel as possible (and still get a cover on it like you did).

I guess what I'm saying is - The only variable here between my setup and yours is the rifle. Are the Remington Sendero II 300RUM and your Savage close enough so that the low rings would work with my rifle too?

I've tried the stacking pennies thing and guess I'm just not a smart man or just can't follow written instructions too well. :)

THanks so much!
Tony

The lows run about 3/4 '' top of base to center line tube, med is just shy of 1''. Low will hold a 50 bell on my Weatherby, base design has some to do with it.

Running a 300 RUM sendero with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Running TPS Lows with good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.