Semi new guy w/Savage 170 questions.

Wasabi

I haven't been hunting in about 15 years but used to go a lot when I was a younger man back when I lived in SW PA. Recently my friends have me talked into going again here in FL and I'm looking forward to getting back into it. We're mostly going to hunt hogs and deer. I have an older Savage 170 pump 30-30 that I've had for years that I'm going to use. Maybe later I'll upgrade my rifle (Tikka T3 Lite 7mm-08?) if I want to do more hunting but for now I'd like to just fix up my trusty Savage some.

The Savage is in great shape but I needed a new scope. I lucked out and snagged a mint Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 scope off of eBay for $125 so I'm going with that. Maybe overkill for the Savage but I got a great deal and I figure I can take it with me if I upgrade my rifle later.

My questions are:
-What scope mounts are good that I'll need for my Savage? (Rem 740/7400 ones work?)
-Are see thru mounts useless? (they were semi popular back when I was younger)
-If I can use see thru mounts, are Williams Firesights a good upgrade to my beat up stock iron sights? (again, get the ones for a Rem 740/7400?)
-Where can I find other parts for my Savage if needed? (everything except the sights look good so far)

I traded for some Hornady 160g Leverevolution ammo and also have some other Rem and Win 150g laying around. I figure I'll save the Hornady for deer and the other stuff should be good for hogs/range stuff.

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any comments on at least the see thru mounts for my hunting needs (hog/deer under 200yds)? Should I just skip them? I'm either going to go with some Burris Zee rings or Millet see thru mounts depending on if the see thru mounts will be OK to use at times.

I still may upgrade the iron sights regardless of what mounts I choose in case I ever take the scope off. Any other good options instead of the Williams?

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.