Seen a bear today....................

Catahoula

Just kidding,
But I am seeing them in my dreams at night because the spring hunt is about 2 months from opening!!!!!!!
Been working up a few new loads for my old 25-06 Remington Classic. That rifle has killed everything from rats to a B&C bison, but not a bear. Hope to change that this year. Also bought a S&W model 629 in 44 mag.
Any advice on what to load in it to whack a bear with?
Thanks Guys, Kirk

I would go with a mono metal bullet in the 25-06 .
In the 629 the 300 gr is pretty ideal. 20 gr of H110 or 296 with a mag pistol primer.
The Smith isn't built for extreme pressure.
I loaded some 300 gr Speer with 20 gr of 296 for a friends 6" 29 . He shot a 6+' black bear on Prince of Wales Is. From less than 20' in the head. The bullet went thru the skull, totally destroyed over 12" of neck vertibra and part way thru the lungs. Over 18" of straight penetration. .

Kirk,

By the time the spring bear season opens I'll probably be healed enough to give it a go. (Kidney removal :rolleyes: day after tomorrow.

What's the odds of getting some pointers? Never hunted bear.

Just got a picture from my daughters father in law via Facebook, apparently a bear break in at their cabin. Cascades lower elevation, snow's melting a bit. We cut a giant bear track in the snow, cat hunting December 22 many years ago. Who can say what a critter will or won't do?

Hey Roy,
Good to hear from you. Hope all goes well with your operation. You just get ahold of me when you are healed up and I will help you all I can.
Thanks, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts