Seeking Suggestions on a long range system, not a board war.

BanC68

Hi, I'm new to this site, new to extreme range[imo] shooting but exceptionally hooked already. I have often seen huge deer at 800 yards in Alberta, Canada that always seemed unattainable to me until I stumbled across 'The best in the West.net's promo video' I will admit right off that I do not have the knowledge that most of you have here on this board. I also realize that the gun combo is merely a piece of the requirement to enable me to humanely, yet accurately, take game at such ranges. I have seen how a 165gr 7mm will carry more energy to greater distances than my beloved 300Win through sites shared on this one. I realize that there are many combinations that work well for many of the members here and I certainly do not want to start a thread where members take aim at other members. So, Here's my question: If you were to build a new long range weapon today, what would it be and why? I am looking for specifics as far as barrel twist, manu, length etc as well as all the other myriad of options for the rest of the system is concerned. Weight is not a huge factor in this construction, yet under 11lbs is a target. Post a reply with your dream gun and the reasons supporting/suggesting it and I will truly be grateful. Sorry about the long-winded post.
Cheers,
Jim
PS: May the new CDN Gov put bill C-68 to it's long overdue rest.

my wish list and what is obtainable is two differant things but try this
Rem 700 action fit for a mag case 7mmRem , 300Win
a 26"-28" Broughton barrel 1-9 for 7mm or 1-10 for 30 cal
in probably a medium varmint counture and fluted
using a Hightech specialties stock (20oz)
all of these things put together by a good smith that knows what your wanting
then top it off with a good scope with target style turets mounted in a set of quality rings a bases
then spend lots of time at a range that will let you practice out to 800yds and make range cards and such.
a 7mmRem mag with 160gr bullets will take deer at 800yds as will your beloved 300winmag with the proper bullets.
you don't need ULTA MAGNUM performance to get the job done (hell I have confidence in my 308win ut to 1000yds) the higher velocity just makes you range estimation and wind doping a little less critical

BanC68:

I had Kirby Allen build something similar to what you are talking about for me last year. Rather than list it all here you can read about it "here" if you're interested. If I had it to do all over again, and wanted an extreme gun built to handle any long range conditions, I would duplicate the same gun exactly but that is just what it takes to make "me" happy. You need to decide what level of components you want to incorporate and what level of performance you expect and what level of expense you are willing to accept. I've had, and worn out, a lot of 7mm, 30 cals and 338s and would still duplicate what I have. I've found no fault with it and am comfortable putting the crosshairs on something and tripping the trigger. Kinda makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when things happen big time, quickly, wayyyyy down range.

Some generalities, from my point of view, would be:
• Quality action, like an accurized 700 or full custom action, sized to handle the round of your choice.
• Trigger can be reworked factory or aftermarket, set at a weight that is safe and comfortable for your shooting.
• Cartridge and caliber dependent on your personal feelings but one that is able to handle heavy for caliber, high BC bullets at a velocity that gives you great down range performance.
• Use a quality, heavy for caliber high BC bullet in a design that will handle the target or game that you shoot. Don't spend thousands on a gun and try to save a few bucks on bullets.
• Laminated or synthetic stock of a style and design that makes for a comfortable gun that you can shoot under all conditions.
• Top quality barrel in your chosen caliber with a twist rate for the above bullets, probably in a minimum of 28" but, for me, preferably 30".
• If recoil in your chosen setup is an issue, then a quality muzzle brake. I like Holland QDs.
• Good quality scope with externally adjustable turrets containing quality glass and a total package that gives you repeatable dialing day in and day out. Choose a range of magnification and a reticle that will handle the targets you intend to shoot, at the ranges you intend to shoot them.
• Last, but most important of all, choose a smith that knows what he's doing and has a proven track record with easily checked references. It doesn't matter how much money you spend on components, if they aren't put together right then you spent all of you time to build an expensive 100 yard club.

Good luck with your build, spend a lot of time in the planning because that will determine the end product that you take to the field each time. Remember that there are factory guns that will handle your 800 yard shots just fine if properly chosen and set up.

If you decide you want a really precise long range hammer then don't skimp on important components because I guarantee you will be unhappy for as long as you own the gun if, in the end, the quality and results of each shot get compromised because you cut corners.

There are literally hundreds of combinations that will accomplish what you want. You need to decide on each component, based on your likes, needs and pocket book. Play the what if game and build your dream gun on paper. Play with some ballistic programs and see what kind of performance you will get with different combinations. Price it out, change the components around and price it out each time. When you are happy with the components, quality, price and performance, then buy it or have it built and spend a lot of time sending rounds down range.

Dead is dead and there are countless calibers and rounds that will accomplish this for you. Good luck with your planning and I hope that whatever you choose works well for you and that you are happy each time you trip the trigger.

Mr Jones is correct in my opinion. 308 would enable you to get thousands of rounds before rebarreling, allowing you to inexpensively get as much trigger time as possible in a long range hunting rig. For humane 800yd kills I would recommend the 300WM. Nothing against the 7, I just prefer the 30 cals. My recomendation for the rifle if weight isn't an issue:

Rem 700 LA
- Trued and properly massaged
- extractor upgraded
- 300WM
Obermeyer 30 cal barrel
- 28 inches
- twist to match bullet choice
- taper #7 or #8
Mcmillan a5 stock
Badger 20 moa base
Badger 30 mm rings
Leupold straight 16x mark 4 scope
Harris no swivel bipod
Jewel trigger
Badger bolt knob

Leave plenty of money to buy high quality brass and reloading equipment, rolling your own is the only way to go. This is merely what would come to mind if I had a need to take deer at 800 or so yards. Good luck and good shooting!

Meister

Well for deer hunting, I will tell you what I would choose. I would get a rem 700 receiver fully accurized. Get a 26-28" heavy fluted stainless barrel. Chambered in 7 WSM, shooting the 180g VLD bullet. I would use a mcmillan a-5 stock with a jewell trigger, also a harris bi pod. For scope mounts, there are several good ones, but I've always used leupold base and rings. I would either go with a Leupold MK4, in 4.5-14, or the 6.5-20, or a Nightforce. That would, in my opinion be the perfect set up for a shot at a big buck out to 800 yards. Why the 7 WSM??? Because from all the customs I've seen shoot, these things flat out shoot. It would push the big 180g VLD to a feasible speed in a 26-28" tube, and with its high BC, buck the wind and hit very hard for any buck to 800 yards. Very hard to beat 7mm for a dedicated long range deer rifle. Just my opinion though.

I think JD got it right and so did everyone else.

A rifle that will hold MOA to 800 yds will kill deer each time and every time. If your 300win will do that then you just need some good high BC bulllets to feed it and start shooting now in order to be ready for next fall. It will take you that long to get everything ready to make the shot.

Thanks alot fellas for your input here. I appreciate your time and suggestions as this has given me a start on direction now. As the the planning stage continues you can be sure I'll have more dumb Q's for you which I'll post here.
Cheers,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.