Seeking information

Lizard

I'm new to this site and am looking for advise. I currently own a .308 Kimber Montanna,a .300WSM Kimber Classic and an "older" .300 Win.Mag Remington Sendero. I am interested in becoming proficient at long range hunting and am considering a Remington 40X in .300 RUM. Am I better off investing more money in the Sendero by way of truing the action,replacing the trigger and stock, etc. or should I just order the 40X ?

Pick a good gunsmith and have that .300 win mag decked out the way you want it. The 40x is nice, but the Sendero can be made out better.
Oh, and my advice is to stay away from the 7 or 300 Ultras. Too much for too little returns. Check out what my dirty old 300 win mag did to an elk at long range on 820 yard cow elk pics under this same heading.
It did that much damage at just shy of 1/2 mile with 20 grains less powder than an Ultra, and double the barrel life i.e. more practice shots!

Goodgrouper,

Scorning the big cases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif!!!

I thought I like you man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! Hell of a job on that cow by the way, I guess youdo not NEED a RUM for long range shooting.

Congrats!

Kirby Allen(50)

Lizard,

Welcome to LRH.

Goodgrouper is right, get something that is consistant and easy to load and shoot. The 300 Win is a great round for this.

Get a quality rifle and shoot the hell out of it until its time for a new barrel, by then you will have enough experience to know if you may want more performance or range.

Again I second, practice is key.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Goodgrouper--- Thanks for the suggestions.I'm from the "upstate" area of N.Y. and have to do a little research to find a good gunsmith, preferably someone locally. I've visited this site numerous times over the last few months and if anything am more confused now than ever. I had always heard that the 40X was the easier way to go, but easier is rarely better. The Sendero currently has a 4.5 x 14 VariX lll on it. Do you feel that this is adequate or should I upgrade the scope too? I'm inclined to agree with you on the calibre too. The .300RUM was reccommended by a local retailer that I've known/used for years.

May I suggest letting Fiftydriver take care of you? I have been conversing with him for awhile now, and he will have that Sendero shooting circles around that Remington custom shop gunsmith's rifle.
It is very easy shipping rifles via Fed Ex and all you need is a cheap gun case and the box it comes in!
As far as the scope goes, that is the exact same scope that I shot the cow with. It has no fancy reticles, and no target turrets. I just go through the terrible agony of unscrewing the adjustment cap, and twisting the dial with my trusty nickel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not tough. Great scope. I wish they still made it.

I work in a gunshop myself, and I'm always amazed at how fast the newer employees recommend the Ultra's because most of them have never shot one, never owned one, and never tinkered with them. If the occasional employee has shot one, he is quick to point out how much cooler they are than anything else and yet, they haven't shot anything ELSE so how would they know! Take it from a guy who has shot almost all the 30 caliber rounds, and who has put in excess of 1300 rounds through the .300 win mag, most game can't tell the difference. So why make it hard on your shoulder and your barrel. In all reality, I could have killed that cow and many others just fine with a .30-06! I just don't own a 30-06. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Good shooting!

Lizard, That Leupold scope can also be sent to the factory for a reticle change. If you get used to a MilDot reticle, you can use it for a rangefinder and a hold over reticle to shoot out to at least 600+ yds. It sounds like it will be awhile before you need more range than that. Just an idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1. Stay with the Sendaro 300 win mag until the barrel goes. RUM is too **** difficult for most people to shoot and become proficiant with.

2. Have the sendaro trigger tuned, skim bedded, luggs lapped and recrowned now. That is all that needs to be done until you rebarrel, then action job.

3. The scope you have is good, send to Premier reticles for reticle conversion to either their Gen 2 mil dot or what ever you prefer. If it does not have the target turrets on it, they can add them too.

4. Buy a leica 1200 rangefinder

5. Get quality reloading tools and start reloading if not already.

6. Start shooting either Fclass or 1k BR. You need trigger time with people who are shooting LR.

7. 40x is waste of money. needs truing 90% of time anyway. Save your $ for quality custom action

8. When getting ready to build a custom gun, do some research. Ideal is local smith that builds LR rifles and knows his business and is recognized for it. Guess what it will cost the same and in some cases less to do it right the first time. Lot of those in NE, just ask all the PA 1k shooters and look at the recommended smiths at 6mmbr.com, Bruce Baer, Mark King, Jim Borden, John Myer in VA, Clay Spencer (VA), Hammond, Wolfe etc.

Good luck

BH

Stick with the sendero!! As far as the RUM is concerned I own one and shoot the heck of it but he is right it offers a little advantage over the win mag but barrel life is a concern. The RUMS have a big appetite when it comes to powder I have the 7rum and only get a few hundred feet per second more than the original 7mag and burn 20+ grains more powder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Spend your money on a trigger and bedding until u get ready for a rebarrel then go for the works!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.