seeing targets

foreign

hey i was just wondering how people on here manage to get 1inch groups at lets say 400yrds. was just reading about some guy who just got a group like that and wonder how you all see the target. i dont understand how you can hold your that consistantly. i mean the crosshairs would cover 1inch at 400m.i have a burris 4*14*42 and at 300 i know i wouldnt be able to see such a small target. just thinking really

its really not that uncommon. my personal best group i shot along time ago and it was .8" for 3 shots at 400yds. now 1" groups at 400yds arent always the norm but to be honest with ya me and the buddies i shoot with arent really happy with a custom gun until it can hold 1-2" groups at 400 yds. now we do this at 400yds because of the stabilization time it takes for your long for caliber bullets, 100yds just doesnt really tell you what the load will do.

get you some high end optics and a good custom gun , or a savage :D, hand load your ammo, and you will be amazed at what you can do with some practice

steve

I find I like different targets for different reticules. Like you said the x hairs may cover up the target @ 400 but if you can just se part of a little bigger square out of all four corners of the target it really helps.
It still amazes me that the little 3-9 Sightron is so effective on prairie dogs(20oz pop bottle sized critters) @ 4 and 500 yards??

I may be wrong or even weird when it comes to this subject.:rolleyes:

I think our brain and eye work in ways that many don't understand.

As our muscles have memory so does our eye and brain, me thinks.

One of the reason good groups can be shot under the above stated it that whether it is realized or not, the image at the first shot is memorized and used or the next several shots.

This works for those miracle groups that don't happen all that often as usually atmospheric changes between shots occur.

I shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yds regularly when the target dot is totally covered by the scope. When the target dot is increased in size to be able to quarter it the groups drop significantly (when the wind ain't gusty).

Last edited:
hey lerch i have a remington .308 sps. deffintally not a custom rifle but i have bedded the stock and am about to epoxy in some arrow shafts into the forend to stiffen it up so that it doesnt touch the barrel with the new bipod i got. ill be stoked if i can hold moa or half moa at 400m. so if you are shooting 1inch at 400 then are you shooting 1/4 at 100??

ah and what optics are you using or shall i ask what power are you optics since theres no way if you say zeiss or similar i could afford one.

Its just a matter of using the right target for the same reference of an aiming point.

I was using a leupold vx2, 4-12 when I shot that group. Dont happen all the time, but I did proceed to shoot 3 more groups that were 2", 2.25", and 2.5" at 400 yards. I like to use 10-12" squares, and make a T in the middle of the square for my crosshairs to be placed on. It allows me to center the crosshairs and get the same exact point of aim, shot after shot. This is what works for me anyways.

Usually I have 18x leupolds for longer range work, but I wasn't able to get my ring screws off. I ended up drilling them out and putting my 6-18 leupold on now.

1" at 400 would theoretically be 1/4" at 100, yes. Dont always work that way, but you have the right idea.

I myself am not happy unless I get 2-3" group at 400 yards, even with my factory Rems. They all seem to be more then capable with the right load though, so far...

Like rem said yes some of my guns will shoot in the .2"s at 100, but .2" at 100yds does not directly translate to 1" at 400yds.

the optics i am using is mostly NF and Leup. if you are not wanting to spend that much on your glass there is plenty else out there. Leup has alot of options, Nikon makes some absolutely great scopes, Bushnell's elite line is great as well.

cheers for the replys. i epoxyed the forend up with some arrow shafts last night. its alot stiffer now. hope that should help. do any of you have any experience with the burris scopes. i have the fullfield 2 4*14. just wondering how the clarity of glass compairs with the scopes mentioned. i think its clear but i have no comparison

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts