Secret Evil Plan-300 Win Mag

Davkrat thanks!

I wanted to hear from someone who has tried this.
I am excited to get busy working up some reduced loads for my upcoming Wisconsin whitetail hunt, and I was curious if anyone had tried doing this.

I don't think I will go the whole 60% of max, (35gns) but will atttempt to get .308 velocities out of my 300 win mag shooting 168gn hornady interlocks. (43-50gns out of 59gn max load)

I KNOW the deer do not go far with a well placed 30 cal. at this velocity

I'd think that's doable and you might be surprised with the accuracy. I went for the minimum of the minimum just so my kids could safely shoot my gun. I imagine in a heavy BAR that 300 "light" magnum will be a ***** cat :) Also at .308 velocities bullet selection should be no problem. With the really reduced youth loads if I remember correctly a light ballistic tip style bullet was recommended to guarantee they expand at those reduced velocities. Either that or maybe a heavy for caliber bullet to maximize KE. For deer and kiddie loads I would go with a 125 grain ballistic tip, believe they were designed for .308 single shot pistol velocities. The 150 grain ETips at 2750 fps out of my .308 have been perfect for California blacktails.

Last edited:
This thread got me motivated. Since buying my CZ 455 I've shot almost nothing .22 the last year and hardly touched my centerfire. Took the CZ and my .308 out. Was ringing the 8" gong all day with the .22 at 170 yards and no problem with the .308 and 110's out to 350 yards. Even the kids got in on the fun. Scared the gong at 350 with the .22 a few times. Had to max out the vertical on it and switch from subsonics to Velocitors to get that little pill out that far :)

Well just got back from hunting WT in Wisconsin. Great trip!
I had loaded 30 rounds of reduced load ammo, 10 each stepping up to 52gns H4895 (55grns starting load)

7 rounds did not fire at the range! The primers were struck, but no bang!

I stripped my new gun and had it in pieces 3 hours before my flight.

I found some metal shavings in the bolt, took out the firing pin for inspection oiled, reassembled and ran for the airport.

But I was not confident in my ammo. (All the factory stuff I shot at the range worked fine)

So I bought a box of Winchester Super X 180 grn power point at WallyWorld in WI.

This inexpensive ammo was superb! I shot a buck at 40yrds and he went right down. Great entrance and better exit, no excessive damage at all.

But the best shot was from 200yrds at a running doe. I thought I missed because I saw the bullet splash in the frozen field behind her.

She ran into a slight gully, and then I lost her.

After finding the other guys in their tree stands, we walked back up the field and to my surpise there was my doe in the gully. She had been hit less than one inch from the heart, nice clean entrance and larger exit in the ribs on the other side.

So a lot of angst about nothing. The Browning Bar in 300 win mag is a fine machine for White Tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.