Second opinion please.

reachinOUT

I am new to reloading and just got done loading my first rounds. I used a Lee challenger press kit. My load data came from sierra load manual. My particular load is .270 135g match king, norma brass, h4831 sc and cci 200 primers. The recipe is 55.7g of powder and c.o.a.l is 3.340. Everything has been double checked. My rifle is a weatherby vanguard 24" 1-10. The manuals test rifle was 26" and the same twist. I take it I will lose a little velocity with the shorter barrel? 3.340 is a good bit higher oal than some other rounds that I have bought and shot. I just wanted to double check that I am running in the safe zone. Set my mind at ease for my inaugural testing please.:)

The OAL listed in the manual is normally the SAAMI standard for that cartridge. Ammo loaded to that length should function safely in 99.9% of the firearms chambered for that cartridge. The optimum OAL for a given cartridge in a given firearms may be longer, or shorter, than the SAAMI standard. Things like chamber throat and magazine box length come into play, and normally, only you can determine what's right for your specific rifle.

Some bullets like to be seated very close to the rifling; some want to be seated actually engaging the rifling. Some are more tolerant of a 'jump' before they engage the rifling. Jamming a bullet into the rifling will increase pressure, which needs to be taken into consideration when working up a load.

If you assembled your ammo in accordance with the manual, you should be just fine.

If your bolt closes on the loaded round then it isn't too long and will not cause increased pressures due to jamming into rifling.

You powder charge is a bit light for a 270 Win and really light for a WSM I don't 'think" you'll hurt anything.

The 135 SMK is a bit of a brick as far as bc goes. You may wish to give 130/140 Noslers a go.....

Just another opinion.....

Watch for pressure signs! Only one component changed can change your pressures for the worse. Even brass.

If there's one thing that bothers me most is a loading up a pile of generic reloads. The effort you put into them is what you get out of them.

Good job, as far as starting the ball rolling. Good job you used the manual!

If you want accuracy, keep studying. You want performance keep studying.

There are weatherby guys on here, that can help you with weatherby particulars.

Good luck and welcome to reloading.

Thanks for the comments and the link. I feel a little more confident firing off the first the reload. Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.