second choice Wy. unit?

ddgun

Does anybody have any advise on what unit in Wy. is a good second choice? I am not looking to kill a monster just looking for an area with a decent chance to draw a buck tag and decent access to public land. thanks!

I have 1 point, have not decided which area for the first choice either. I was just planning to pick one of the impossible units for a first choice then if I do get lucky it will be worth it. I drew a doe/fawn tag last year in 83 and had a great time. This year I would like to draw a buck tag if possible.

Area 7, by Newcastle. Lots of goats, lots of public land and private walk in area.

If you put in for Area 7, and get drawn, let me know, I'll let you know where to go.

That's interesting regarding unit 7 because everything I've heard lately is that the unit is way down due to bad weather a year ago. I was going to suggest that he use his PP for unit 27 southwest of 7 and go down to the southeastern area known as the Red Hills. I was there two years ago and saw a good number of goats and some real nice bucks. If you wait until 2014 to draw a tag, please be aware that the buck license is supposed to go up to $370, so with the increase in the price for the application fee and Conservation Stamp that goes with it you will be talking $400 for a lousy goat license! That's why I cashed in my PPs last year and will not hunt anything but does on the cheap from now on.

Yes, year before last heavy snows pushed the critters south. Last year it was a bit different, hardly any snow.

It was a little different this year and last. Last year I had my goat and was home by 9;30.

This year it I didn't get a goat until 2 PM. Both openning day.

There wasn't as many out of state hunters this (2012) as in the past. But the goats are there.

I'd have to check the map, but there's tons of goat and plenty of public land between Casper and Glenrock on the south side of the highway. I hunt the other side out by my house, but I often go and do some long range shooting on the public lands between the mountains and the highway.

Thanks for all of your help guys I really appreciate it. I had not heard about the price increase in 2014.

Area 7, by Newcastle. Lots of goats, lots of public land and private walk in area.

If you put in for Area 7, and get drawn, let me know, I'll let you know where to go.
I will let you know if I draw 7, I really appreciate it.

You won't be hunting bucks in unit 7 on a 2nd choice tag unless you pony up for the special draw.

Download the regular, NR random draw odds, then go down the list and look for units where the 1st and 2nd choices combined, are less than the tag quota. After you mark the units you can draw as a 2nd choice, research those units.

Problem is, you just never know what is going to happen. Take Area 7 for example.

As mentioned heavy snow pushed the critters south so when setting up draw no one figured there would be many antelope in that area and set the draws accordingly.

Then last summer, they had a huge fire north of Hwy 16 from Osage to Newcastle all the way up past Skull Creek. That pushed all those animals south of Highway 16 back into Area 7.

Fish and Game has to set the limits based on history of the last winter and set them early enough so they can have their draws and people can plan hunts.

No one knows what with happen with our heavy wet snow we get in the spring for what the fire season may bring us.

Just got to play your cards and take your chances.

Yes, to a point, but for unit 7, 45 tags and over 300 1st choice random draw applicants is a sure thing he won't be hunting it on a 2nd choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.