Seating VDLS

birddog67

I am having problems loading 210 VDL for my ultra mag , first I am using a RCBS gold metal die set , I am neck sizing only . .336 most all my cases are max lenght . 2.84- 2.85 max , I use a loaded factory round to adjust my bullet seating die , that is right at 3.60 , . Also I have the chafer tool from RCBS onmy case prep machine the I use to help the VDL as is goes into the neck ,
So my first bullet loaded is 3.609 , then I adjust it down .009 .
Seat the next bullet it's 3.603 . Then I adjust it down .003 .
Seat the next bullet then I get 3.610 ,

It seams the die is all over the place is this something I am doing or not doing ? What die is best to seat VDLs , should I just buy a regular die ? my die is not moving in the press I have it locked down , what could it be ,I am new to reloading , thanks

It s not your seating process it is the way you are measuring the length. You will get those results measuring the tip of the bullet as they vary in length at the tip. What you need is a " Bullet Comparator" to measure the length of the O give of the bullet at the land diameter, to the head of the case. Chances are if you were measuring with a comparator all would be very close in length.

Jeff

It s not your seating process it is the way you are measuring the length. You will get those results measuring the tip of the bullet as they vary in length at the tip. What you need is a " Bullet Comparator" to measure the length of the O give of the bullet at the land diameter, to the head of the case. Chances are if you were measuring with a comparator all would be very close in length.

Jeff

+1 on what Broz said. I remember going through this about 8 yrs ago. My reloading bench still has the dents in the wood from me banging my head into it from frustration! Hornady makes a bullet comparator and you can get it from MidwayUSA or any other reloading place.

yeah... just measure the OAL of some bullets (boat tail to tip) and you'll see what these guys are talking about... the critical length is the ogive (part of the bullet that would actually touch the lands) to the case head of the completed round.

I am measuring to the olglive now .
Problem is I have tried full lenght resizing and using a neck sizing die .336
When I get down to 3.919 measuring base to oglive my seating die start pushing the shoulder down , I have gold metal seating dies RCBS ,OAL on bullet is 3.59.
To my lands with my comparator it 3.945
So I have loaded 5 at 3.935
5 at 3.925
Trying to load 5 at 3.915
And 5 at 3.910
Problem seams my neck seams to tight to let the bullet seat deeper and when I try to seat the bullet it pushes the neck into the shoulder , do I need a bigger neck die like .337 or .338 ?

I am using RP brass and 87.5 gr retumbo powder getting 2840 fps, groups are sub MOA 3/4 of an inch SD 14

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.