Seating primers

feelinducky

I've been working on some new WW 270WSM brass getting them preped and I started to seat a few primers but noticed it was difficult seating them. I looked at the primer and there was an ever slight indent from the push rod. Is this something I need to worry about?

Did you clean the primer pocket first? And are you seating them with a press or by hand?. Are you SURE you have the large primer seating RAM installed? You may be using the small primer RAM. That could get you in trouble. Even seasoned leaders have made that mistake.
I encounter "good" resistance when seating primers by hand for everything from 300Wby, to my 270WSM. I do it by hand so I can feel the primer seating. If too loose the brass gets tossed.
From what I've experienced, the primer should encounter enough resistance to leave it ever-so-slightly different from brand new. Almost looks just a tic flatter. Now I'm NOT saying "crush your primers, & run with it.
Just go easy. & double check your seating ram. I've never seated a primer from my press, so I don't even know how that should "feel".

I uniformed the pockets, seating them by hand and the large primer ram is in there. Do you think I'm not getting enough depth on the uniform pocket cut?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.