seating die for sciroccos

G

I'm having trouble getting these scirocco bullets seated straight (210 gr .338).I've tried every trick I can think of to get them seated straight,but I still end up with various runouts.My cases av..003 or less,but I end up with.007 or worse runout.I've tried turning the cases as I'm seating the bullets and have used 2 different dies,both with the same result.i've tried drilling out the top of the seater so the tips won't hit in different places,but I still am having problems.My other bullets seat well,just not these swifts.The bullets themselves average less than .002 runout,so its gotta be in the dies.They are Lee and Redding.Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Have you checked the deburring of the cases?? Sciroccos have a rather long boat tail.

Is your sitting die a lee or a redding? i´m using a lee for another caliber and have your same problem... case RO ids under 0,003 and bullet RO goes up to 12 tho. or more in some cases.

Sounds like you may have the dreaded doughnut at the shoulder neck junction.... Take a fired case and a toothpick. Slide the toothpick point first down the inside of the entire neck from three different points. If you have the doughnut, you should be able to feel a hump or a bump right at the neck shoulder junction.

If you have the doughnut, you can either ream the cases or chuck them in the trash and start over. If you decide to start over, send me an email and I will talk you through getting your neck turner set up to prevent the doughnut. Good luck.

James

I'm using both lee and redding.I use Forster seating dies with my 7 mag and I don't have any trouble seating the sciroccos.Maybe that is the answer to my question.

Chawlston,

could I trouble you for the neck turning procedure? I haven't run into problems yet, but for most of my turned brass it's still early days.

I did look in your profile, but wasn't able to mail you.

I'd be pleased for any pointers in case I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Wim

If you are neck turning there is one neck turner that will cut the donut out. That is the K&M turner and it comes with a carbide donut cutter.

You must use the KM expander.

Joel Pendegraft on BR central classifieds "Tools" or PM him, sells a great little holder for the KM turner that fits the hand perfectly.

My steps.

1. FL size

2. Expand necks with matching mandrels. Get a mandrel tha is exact size for your cutter.

3. Lube the necks (sizing die wax, FP10, engine assembly lube etc)

4. I use a B&D power screwdriver with extra batteries, and sinclair caseholder driver ((# 05-200) $10.95 and matching caseholder (05-210 etc) for $13.95. Turns at 180 RPM which is perfect speed to not leave grooves on neck. I get about 25-40 cases per battery.

5. Practice on old cases and find if you can take the cut in one pass (normally .004 or less) or multiple passes will be needed.

6. Holland and sinclair both make great case neck micrometers which is essential.

7. I use the Holland VLD case mouth camfer tool to chamfer the case mouths.

Do not allow the cutter to get hot, set on rag on ice or something cool. Make slow smooth cuts. Practic on old and measure twice before cutting all.

BH

Thanks for the reply BH.

I can see that's good advice - that's close to what I've done, but I've never used the K&M donut cutter (but I do use their neck turner - which is a big difference!).I don't have donuts yet.

I interpreted Chawlston's post (right or wrong) that there was a way to turn necks to avoid the donut which wasn't based on using the K&M donut cutter.

Thanks again.

Wim

There is. All you have to is to cut about .003 into the shoulder when turning the necks and it should prevent the doughnut. It was passed down to me by some very learned benchrest shooters. Specifically, the very first man to shoot a match aggregate less than .2" in a national event. Anyway, it works for me/us.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.