Seating Depth & Magazine Capacity

Probably not. But + or - 0.1gr for accuracy might be worth it. If you fire 3- 3rnd groups that is enough so < ten shots to see if it's worth chasing. I would try to shoot at least 300 yards for those 9 shots. After finding the charge weight I would consider seating a little deeper (0.010"?) to see if that changes.

Another approach is to use the Hybrids. The members here claim they are a lot less sensitive to seating depth. So at least you might get really decent hunting loads that feed through the mag.

Just a thought...

KB

Thanks KB. Unfortunately I already loaded up the full test. I don't have access to a 300yd range so I've been doing OCW testing at 100 along w/a chronograph. What looks like my node gave me the following: 46.4gr Varget (7/16" group; SD: 2; ES:6; Avg. Vel: 2899) and 46.6gr Varget (3/8" group; SD: 5; ES:12; Avg. Vel: 2911). I'll be doing the new test w/a OAL of 2.81". I'll post a comparison of the 2 tests. I just ordered Berger 175 OTM Tactical to try as well. They are supposed to be indifferent to seating depth.

Berger lists the top load as 44.6 grains of Varget with that bullet. You need to cut back to 44.6 at least and start back up. 2 grains over book is one thing in a 30-378 Weatherby but quite another in 308. A 4.5% overload is a bunch. If you continue check every round for pressure. I am somewhat surprised you could go that high.

KB

Berger lists the top load as 44.6 grains of Varget with that bullet. You need to cut back to 44.6 at least and start back up. 2 grains over book is one thing in a 30-378 Weatherby but quite another in 308. A 4.5% overload is a bunch. If you continue check every round for pressure. I am somewhat surprised you could go that high.

KB

KB-
I took my lead for max range from German Salazar's article here: The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Western Shooters' Pet Loads for Long Range

I did the following work up which I think is pretty conservative, and looked for pressure signs with each shot:

4 rounds - 1 each of: 43.0, 43.5, 44.0, 44.5 Varget
4 round - 45.0 gr Varget
4 round - 45.2 "
4 round - 45.4 "
4 round - 45.6 "
4 round - 45.8 "
4 round - 46.0 "
4 round - 46.2 "
4 round - 46.4 "
4 round - 46.6 "
4 round - 46.8 "

Also, my gunsmith, who had shot my rifle with other loads recommended 45-46 grains of Varget. Otherwise I would have started lower.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts