Seating Depth Affected By Powder Charge?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Propdoc03, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Propdoc03

Propdoc03 Well-Known Member

Trying to get back int he game.
    Wasnt sure what to title this as and it has probably been covered, I just couldnt find it in the archives.

Once you find a seating depth that works well with your rifle is it affected by changes in powder charge and/or temp/altitude/pressures?

I studied the ladder test and the getting the most out of VLD's and am still not quite sure of what new method I want to go by. I am working with the VLD hunters in both my 7RM mag and 300 WSM. Starting from scratch with both rigs.

I guess I first need to find my max charge but if I can first find what my seating depth is that may make tomorrow a more productive day? Will only have a few hours before it gets too hot to shoot.

Wide open to methods of madness an anything else.

Many Thanks
    PD

2. Scout1

Scout1 Well-Known Member

Start with the longest COAL that will fit and cycle in your magazine. Find your max load there. Run a OCW round robin 3 rounds at each charge weight starting from a charge weight at least 4 percent back from your max. Once you find at least a 1 grain spread with a common POI you can start to adjust seating depth to tighten it up.

Read this, OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

3. Propdoc03

Propdoc03 Well-Known Member

Very Good, thanks Scout1!

So, Ill add to this while I am here, looking for any OCW loads. Heres what I have to work with.

H4831 SC, VV N560, RL 19, R 22, R 25. Varget.

300 WSM VLD Hunters 180, 190, 200. Nosler Accubond 200. Sierra Hornady 165 IBS

7mm RM, 180 grn VLD Hunters.

Thanks!
    PD

4. Scout1

Scout1 Well-Known Member

I was shooting the 175 VLD's with VVN-560. It was a pretty hot load of 72.5 grns so please work up safely.

I am currently testing the 208 A-max and RL-17 with very good results so far.

5. Scout1

Scout1 Well-Known Member

Those loads above are in a WSM.