seating bullet

missedshot

what is the easiest way to set up dies to achieve the proper bullet seating for the recommended overall length ??

what kind of dies do you have? with rcbs, trial and error is the quickest and easiest for me. seat it long, then measure. screw the die in a little more, seat it further, then remeasure. once you get it at the right distance, tighten up the lock nut on the washer and you're there. i also make a dummy round for quick reference in case something happens in the future.

-brian

they are RCBS - the dummy round is an excellent idea. THANKS M_S
cool.gif

Hi Missedshot
If you are starting out to reload and load develope,I personaly would recomend buying a competition bullet seating die,with micrometer adjustment.You then can O.A.L to any increment you like consistantly.

Also, don't forget to use the dummy round to measure your chamber length. Simple to do, and beats buying some simple tool that you don't need. Just load it very long, without primer and powder of cource, then use the bolt of your rifle to "seat" the bullet. There you go, and you have the perfect guage to measure how long your chamber is. I do this several times, and use the length that comes up most common. Load ammo off the lands as much as your rifle likes!
wink.gif
Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.