Sears (Miroku) 45 cal muzzle loader?

Shooter98

Hi guys,

I just came into posession of one of these and it's in immaculate shape. Problem is, I've never seen or heard of it before but then again I don't shoot black powder. It's roughly 40 years old and almost looks shelf new. Anyone have any info on these as far as value, reliabilty, collector or not?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

I have a 50 caliber that my Dad got out of a pawn shop in San Antonio, TX quite a few years ago. It has a beautiful maple stock and the steel has a perfect bue job. I don't use it very often, but I did change out the nipple with an "Accra Shot" that uses small rifle primers and it really is a great system that has never failed to shoot no matter how long I have left it loaded. I doubt that there is any collector value to them, but it shoots 245 grain Aerotip Powerbilts in a very tight group with 100 grains of loose 777. Miroku is a company in Kochi, Japan and has been in business since 1893 making all kinds of long firearms and used to also make handguns. They still make rifles for Browning and Winchester along with products under their own name. From what I have been able to find on the internet their does not seem to be any real value of anything they have produced as a collector item. I hope that helps you a little.

Last edited:
It sure does thank you. Man, if nothing else, this gun will look cool hanging above my fireplace. We took it out and shot it, it shoots really good. I may look into the conversion you spoke of to use regular primers. Thanks again.

Mike.

No problem! I think the system I spoke of was a short-lived item because I haven't seen any on the market in years and I don't think you will be able to come up with any on the internet anywhere either. The other big problem is that you had to know the exact thread of the gun when you ordered them or they would not fit. If you decide to use it in the future, you will probably have to stay with percussion caps for it. Take care---I'm also a Mike (Stephenson)

I picked up one at a local gun shop about 20 years ago for $40.00. It was a poorly completed kit which I ended up rebuilding. The wood ramrod was of too small a diameter to be of much use for tight fitting loads, so I replaced the thimbles with 3/8" diameter and bored out the stock for the same so I could use a 3/8" ramrod. The trigger had been butchered, so that was replaced also, plus refinishing the stock and metal furniture. The stock was two piece with a brass spacer at the joint, so I removed that and sistered the two pieces together permanently with dowels. Mine will shoot .440 round balls, but they are an extremely tight fit, even with thin patches. .433 balls with a .015" thick patch load much easier and shoot well, so I tend to think of this rifle as a .44 caliber. Mine has a Spanish made lock, the same as on some of the CVA locks on muzzleloaders back then. The hammer needed a little tweaking to get it to line up with the nipple and hit square, and it also rubbed up against the lock sideplate, slowing up the speed of it's swing and giving inconsistent ignition. The nipple is a metric thread, 6-1mm.
Anyway, with that all fixed, it shoots very well. I only use real blackpowder, which ignites very easily with regular CCI #11 caps. If you use Pyrodex or one of the other substitutes, try the CCI #11 Magnum caps, which give a bit hotter flame. With 60 grains of Goex 3f powder and .433 ball/.015 patch, I took a Mule Deer buck at 90 yards with a through and through chest shot broadside. It was double lunged and ran about 75 yards before cratering.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.