seal rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by assasin-99, Aug 9, 2005.

1. assasin-99

assasin-99 Active Member

i norway were i have my cottage, we can hunt seal i the water and i wonder what kind of caliber i can use for this?
    we cant use calibers under 6mm! the ranges is from 100yrd to 700yrd. what kind of cal should i use i want a 338lapua mag but maybe that is too much? can i use a 300win for 600yrd+

2. assasin-99

assasin-99 Active Member

or maybe are the 6,5-284mag better for this, because i can use that caliber for deer to? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. Pete Lincoln

Pete Lincoln Well-Known Member

Condor, i shot a couple or 3 seals last year of the east cost of the UK. i used a 30-06. i'd say a 6.5-284. 30-06 300 WSM or WM , 270 WSM would do the trick, use heavey bullets and aim to definately kill, its easy to get tempted to blast away at these things out in the water where you have no chance of following up if you would one..
    regards Pete

4. assasin-99

assasin-99 Active Member

thanks does the 6,5-284 have any presision?
    or are the 300wsm better

5. älg

älg Well-Known Member

condor, the 6,5 is very accurate, but the 300 wsm is nalos accurate in a good rifle.; accuracy will depend on the rifle and tghe shooter. For this reason, you will usually shoot better a less recoiling cartridge, so the 6,5-284 makes good sense to me. That said, I have no experience with seals.......

What kind of dear are you talking about ? roedeer (rodjur)

6. POP

POP Well-Known Member

25-06 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

Definitely a 6.5 case. There should be lots of supplies to feed either the 6.5X55 or 6.5-284 or 260. Best overal cal for what you want to do.

The 6.5 is dominating 1000yd BR in North America so plenty accurate with the right rifle and load. Just load 139gr Lapua's, 142gr MK and have at it.

7mm is also a great cal if you have ready supply of components. For this cal, I would look at the 280 as a min and 7WSM, 7RM as ideal. launch 162gr and heavier match bullets.

Jerry

8. sierra22

sierra22 Well-Known Member

Any legal biggame cartridge, ie any cartridge putting out a 139gr or heavier bullet.
    Most norwegian hunters use frangible varmint bullets as seals are almost exclusively shot in the head whilst resting on the slopes of naked rock or when popping up in the shoals. Body shots are avoided as it frequently results in lost seals. The hunters use small boats to pop from rock to rock and shoots from land, prone position mostly.

LR for seal? I'm afraid your frequency of lost seals would be very high due to sinking. It is already hard enough to recover them when your pal is sitting in the boat just waiting for your shot before rushing it.

Remember to get your permit from your local fishery manager.