Scouting for land to hunt on.

rtv900

So today I thought I would stop by a few farms by my house and ask if I could hunt coyotes on their land. I am always trying to expand my area to hunt. Since I am not so good at getting these yotes the more land I can go to the better. That way I am not always going to the same few spots.

I stopped at the first farm and as I started to ask to hunt the guy cut me off and said no - no one hunts here but my family. He said I don't allow anyone to deer hunt or pheasant hunt. Not willing to give up I said that I was looking to coyote hunt ONLY and nothing else. He smiled and said that would be great. I would be happy to let you do that. So we talked about his property, where to park, where he has animals and things like that. Just about when I was going to get into my truck and leave he asked if I was going to go down the road and ask the next farmer too. I said that was the plan. He told me to get in his truck and he would drive me down there and introduce me to the farmer. OK, why not. So long story short. We ended up going to two farms and now I have an additional 2800 acres I can hunt just two miles down the road from my house. As we were driving around a red fox went through the field and before I asked he said if you see some more of those shoot them too. What a great day.

I have asked to hunt at many farms, in many states, for years and years and that is a first for me. So with some more practice maybe I can start getting some of these yotes on the ground.gun)

Congrats on the extra 2800 acres. I usually start off a conversation like that by offering free labor as a farm hand for permission to hunt. 9 times out of 10 I will get paid and get the ok to hunt. Works out great all the way around, He gets the help that he desperately needs and I get more land that I desperatley want to hunt. Nothing worse than seeing the buck of a life time jump a fence to a farm that you do not have permission to hunt :mad:

Good deal on getting those farms lined up! Congrats!

I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns into a deer hunting deal after a couple of years of polite coyote hunting...

Nicely done - and thanks for posting. Am sure there are more than a few who will benefit from this post.

Nice work Jon. Matt Salm and I killed a couple of yotes this morning in Crawford Co.
.....................No deer, bummer...............

Thanks for the post, I need to get out and ask for permission to hunt private land too. Just too many people on the public land I hunt in the N Kettle Moraine.
I was just out deer hunting and went by my coyote hunting areas that usually hold lots of deer and there were at least 3 to 14 cars/trucks at each location. ;-((
After hunting WY this WI hunting sure isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Congrats! That's a great deal for everyone. Most farmers like a little payback too. I used to do the "labor for hunting" trade when asking permission too. Worked just about every time. Also, as I was a commercial fisherman, I used to bring down a bunch of salmon/halibut/crab, etc., from Alaska and use that as a "thank you". Only gave it to the farmers that allowed me to hunt their land though. Never offered it as a pre-hunt bribe. Mostly they liked that too. These days, I just go ask, but I still try to do something for them in return.

I HAVE LIVED IN EASTERN OREGON FOR ABOUT THIRDY NINE YEARS NOW. I HAVE ASKED PERMISSION TO HUNT MANY RANCHES. I HAVE ONE RANCH THATS 20 MILES FROM ME WHICH IS 50,000 ACRE RANCH AND IT HAS ALOT OF COYTES. JUST LAST WEEK WE GOT TEN DOGS IN THREE SET UPS. THEN WE WENT TO ANOTHER RANCH THAT ABOUT FIVE MILES AWAY AND DID ONE SET UP AND GOT TO MORE DOGS. THESE RANCHERS LAND WE HUNT WE DO THEM SUCH A FAVER TAKING THESE DOGS OFF THERE PROPERTIES THEY BEG US TO COME BACK. IN ALL WE HAVE ABOUT 300,000 ACRES TO HUNT..gun)

i have lived in eastern oregon for about thirdy nine years now. I have asked permission to hunt many ranches. I have one ranch thats 20 miles from me which is 50,000 acre ranch and it has alot of coytes. Just last week we got ten dogs in three set ups. Then we went to another ranch that about five miles away and did one set up and got to more dogs. These ranchers land we hunt we do them such a faver taking these dogs off there properties they beg us to come back. In all we have about 300,000 acres to hunt..gun)
theres alot of blm and forest service that can be hunted to.

I HAVE LIVED IN EASTERN OREGON FOR ABOUT THIRDY NINE YEARS NOW. I HAVE ASKED PERMISSION TO HUNT MANY RANCHES. I HAVE ONE RANCH THATS 20 MILES FROM ME WHICH IS 50,000 ACRE RANCH AND IT HAS ALOT OF COYTES. JUST LAST WEEK WE GOT TEN DOGS IN THREE SET UPS. THEN WE WENT TO ANOTHER RANCH THAT ABOUT FIVE MILES AWAY AND DID ONE SET UP AND GOT TO MORE DOGS. THESE RANCHERS LAND WE HUNT WE DO THEM SUCH A FAVER TAKING THESE DOGS OFF THERE PROPERTIES THEY BEG US TO COME BACK. IN ALL WE HAVE ABOUT 300,000 ACRES TO HUNT..gun)

sounds like you need some help:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.