Scout scope?

threejones

I was just given a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 450 Marlin. It's the first lever gun I've owned in years, and I'm loving it so far. But, it turns out that without good glass my eyes are turning to crap, or maybe I just hate open sights. Either way, it needs a small, light, low power scope. Since I don't intend to shoot it much past 300yds, I thought I'd try out a scout type scope in QD rings in a forward mount (already have the mount on the way) so I can keep the irons in place as a backup. I've heard good things about the cheaper Leupy scout scopes (1x4 was $475 ish) but can't find one locally. Any reviews, or anyone have a better suggestion in the $500 range.

But, it turns out that without good glass my eyes are turning to crap,

Same boat. I tried it years ago and really liked it. Before my eyes went and the tremors set in. Put a 2x Leupold on a good quality custom bolt action holding under 2" groups was not that difficult.

No real advice just encouragement, I don't think that scopes available anymore, and sometimes the fixed are a bit less money. For simplicity I think fixed of whatever power is the way to go.

Same boat. I tried it years ago and really liked it. Before my eyes went and the tremors set in. Put a 2x Leupold on a good quality custom bolt action holding under 2" groups was not that difficult.

No real advice just encouragement, I don't think that scopes available anymore, and sometimes the fixed are a bit less money. For simplicity I think fixed of whatever power is the way to go.

A fixed power might be where I end up. I was just hoping for something I could crank up a touch should the need arise. But I doubt I'll ever have much need to shoot this rig past 200yds anyway. Remembering that the 450 isn't a long range round in the first place seems to be half my problem:D.

C'mon guys, I know it's not "long range" but lever guns are ten kinds of fun, someone's gotta have a little input here.

Lever guns can be great fun! My little 96/44 has a Burris Fastfire 2 on it, I doubt that I could stretch past a 100 with it, I can't really recommend the 2, the 3 cures some of the short comings.

Now just cause you opened the door to conversation. In my wild hair moments when I think there is a winning Lotto ticket with my name on it out there, and a trip to Africa becomes possible. I pick up my .375 H&H, and wonder how an EOTECH EXPS3-4 with 3X magnifier would work on Cape Buffalo.

Price wise it may be more accurate to say you're mounting the gun to the sight. It's out of the budget limit proposed, but seriously there may be something in the more modern sights that would blend with a traditional lever gun.

A Burris 2.75X just showed up in the optics classified. Don't know anything about that model, just mentioning it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts