Scopes for the magnum pistol

grampayeehaa

I have resisted scoping my 8 1/2" Tauras Raging Bull in 454 Casull but the accuracy of the weapon cries out for glass. I have read all the literature and product reviews for the top hand gun scopes and they all sound as if they could stand up to everything a hand gun can dish out. Then you read reviews of actual users and the truth comes out.

I am looking for real big bore handgunners for their opinion as to what they think is the scope that can take it. Shelling out some $400.00 for a scope that turns in to a pile of useless junk after only a few rounds does not excite me.

The 2-6 Bushnell has a good record of holding together well with 454's.
In the future I am going wring out a 454 at longer distances, and the 2-6 Bushy will be one of the optics I use.
I have never used a variable LER scope on a 454 before, so this will be a first for me as well.

Several months from now I should have a better firsthand experience to your question.
E

I shoot a 2x Leupold on my 45-70 BFR and had a 2x8 Leupold on my 12" 454 Encore. I could not get used to the recoil of the 454 and it went down the road I now have the same 2x8 Leupold on my 16" 50 Alaskan Encore pistol. The Leupolds are tough and the 454 will punish any type of optic so buy one with a warantee, you will need it eventually.

Thanks guys. I had no idea that Bushnell made a scope strong enought to withstand that heavy recoil. Let me know how it turns out.

I have a shooting buddy that has owned three Leupolds. Non of which held up and had to be sent back for repair. He swears that he will never own another Leupold.

The Bushnell recommendation comes from non other Bob Baker (Freedom Arms). That is a pretty good recommnedation.
If I remember correctly Bushnell has two lines of handgun scopes, and I am assuming it is the bettter line.

I've got a 2-8 Leupold in 3 Burris Signature Rings on a Taurus Mount.
6687Guns_040.jpg

Thanks guys. I had no idea that Bushnell made a scope strong enought to withstand that heavy recoil. Let me know how it turns out.

Right now, I intend to use 3, possibly 4 variable power scopes on a non-braked FA Model 83 454 Casull:
Pride/Fowler, Bushnell, Leupold, and Burris.

I looked up Bushnell and found that their top of the line pistol scope is their Elite 3200. It advertises that the Elite can take the recoil of the 454 and they offer a 1 year "bullet proof warrenty. I read customer reviews and the scope got fairly good reviews. What I didn't find was horror stories of the scope coming apart after only a few rounds or the center tube breaking loose as was reported on several Leupold and Thompson Center scopes. I will have to look in to this a bit further. Bushnell shows promise. Burris is another scope that appears to be able to take it. My buddy Jon has one on his Smith 500 S&W. It held up well until he started using 500 grain loads. The scope still holds zero and will except adjustments but something is rattling around inside the tube.

P.S. Nice picture VSSF. I like the way you have the rings arranged.

I have resisted scoping my 8 1/2" Tauras Raging Bull in 454 Casull but the accuracy of the weapon cries out for glass. I have read all the literature and product reviews for the top hand gun scopes and they all sound as if they could stand up to everything a hand gun can dish out. Then you read reviews of actual users and the truth comes out.

I am looking for real big bore handgunners for their opinion as to what they think is the scope that can take it. Shelling out some $400.00 for a scope that turns in to a pile of useless junk after only a few rounds does not excite me.

Thanks for the tip on the cylinder lockup problem. Problem solved.

On the the scope questions. DO NOT use a BSA red dot on it. If I had a camera with a charged up battery I would post up a pic of a Banana shaped one I just took off of my 454. What a "***". I have used some bushnell 2x7's on a 7mm-08 and .223 Encore pistol for years without any problems but they don't kick like the 454 either. I have a 4x leupold on a 7mm-08 Encore that SUCKS! dont buy one of them.....Jim

I forgot to add the fact that my 12" Encore 454 kicks about twice as much as my 8 3/8" Taurus 454 does. I can shoot 100+ rounds a sitting with it. The Encore about 25 and I am done for the day (with the same ammo)...

I am glad I could help you wm51. My Tauras Ranging Bull in 454 is a real ***** cat. I have had the good fortune to shoot several rounds through a 10" Tauras in 500S&W and found it to be very pleasent to shoot. Both pistols are extremely accurate and the triggers on them, as well as all the Tauras pistols I own, are great right out of the box.

I already got the message that Leupold can not handle heavy recoil. I didn't think a red dot scope would hold up, thank you for confirming that.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.