Scope "whiting" out?

jsthntn247

One place I hunt is on a power line that looks due East. However, in the afternoons deer always come out from behind me and I have to look into the setting sun when trying to get a shot. There is a big hill 200 yards from the stand and the sun sets behind the hill, but when the deer are between the stand and the hill and I try to look through my scope at them I have a hard time seeing anything because my scope "whites" out. I am assuming its gathering the light from the setting sun and the sky line but am wondering if most scopes have this problem. I have to dial the scope all the way down to 3x before I can see without the whiting effect but can pick up my 10x50 binoculars and see the deer clear as 12 noon with no whiting effect. I have yet to take my gun with Zeiss 6.5-20 to this stand to see if I have the same issue, but it does it every time with my Weaver 3-10x40 grand slam.

Looking toward a setting sun is the worse-case condition for glare. I don't don't have my notes with me and don't recall how Weaver Grand Slams perform in terms of glare. Glare as bad as you describe isn't usually seen at 10X magnification in scopes at that price level. Dust on the objective lens can also cause glare. Was the front lens dirty or dusty?

At the same 10X magnification, the Zeiss Conquest will have less glare. At 20X magnification, the glare under those conditions may be bad enough that you can't see the target.

My backyard range really sux in the winter as the sun is very low in the sky. The solution is a long sun shade.

The handiest is to take a piece of elastic about 2 1/2" wide and make it fit fairly tight around the scope end bell. Then roll a piece of brown butcher paper or some such stuff and place one end of the roll over the end bell and secure with the elastic.

Cut it to what ever length works best for your situation.

Cheap, easy and takes a beating without dinging the scope.

Just a suggestion....

i had same issue with a 3-9 nikon prostaff. i ditched that scope immediately and will never buy another nikon anything. even my 50 dollar simmons scope didnt white out. the tech guy i talked to about the issue was a foreigner who had no clue what i was talking about.

Ditch that Weaver scope and get a sun shade!! Your problem is one of the big areas in scopes where you "get what you pay for"!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.