Scope too close?

NONYA

After watching the video I got to wondering about the bushnell elite I just mounted on my VTR,it BARLEY clears the barrel,could this cause future problems with the recoil knocking the zero off?Thanx.
vtrEM.jpg

Nonya,

Interesting question.

Before I became anxious from watching that video I had a scope on a 270 Win, Mauser action, with clearance between the end bell and barrel would tolerate a single sheet of printer paper but not two. It was that way for over 30 years.

Would I do it again. Nah.....

A thought just popped into the ol' knoggin. Place a piece of scotch tape, about .002 thick on the barrel under the front edge of the end bell, put some chalk or some thing that will leave a mark on its top. Load and shoot then look. Heck, I'm full of dumb ideas like that:rolleyes:

NONYA,

Sorry, i don't have imput on your scope question (other than i had a scope that close on a 300 WIN and it never seemed to get knocked off), but can i see a bigger picture of that buck in your signature? :D That thing looks awesome - i love stuff like that.

Kevin

Well if you are absolutely positive there is no contact you should be gtg..But why not try some higher rings and be done with the worry?, worry leads to doubt which leads to a place I try not to visit, called, I wish I would have done it right the first time.

NONYA

I like my scopes close (Just enough to get scope covers on).

But if you are worried then get the next hight up and move your
rings farther apart(Closer to the eye peice and the objective lens
to minimise scope flex.

I saw a fellow let his rifle fall over and it landed on the scope and
was bent down touching the barrel at the front ring . (It was a zeiss
and the rings were very close together ).

J E CUSTOM

As I said there is clearance,I like to keep my scopes as low as possible,thats they why I shoot.Im not going to add a cheek piece to my stocks to see through the scope while tight against the stock.BTW thats as far apart as the Leupold base/rings go.

JE: That's the funniest stuff I ever heard poor guy. I actually feel bad for the guy but had to laugh as about 2 months ago my **** cat knocked my .204 with a $900.00 scope off the table. It was about a 3 foot drop. Thank goodness I had the scope rings as far out as possible as it did no damage and it still had the same zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.