scope slipping in rings

aroshtr

My father has a Smith and Wesson 460xvr with the 11.5" barrel. We have installed a Burris handgun scope, and are using a weaver style base. The rings currently in use are Burris Signature Zee rings with the plastic inserts. After about 50 rounds of shooting the scope shifts about 1/8" in the rings, and can rotate as well. Thus keeping a good zero on the gun is very difficult.

We have tightend the torx screws to the point of stripping the heads and can't do much more. What should we do? Add an additional ring? Get standard rings without the plastic inserts? Use "tactical" rings such as the burris xtr for more gripping power? Use some sort of loc-tite or glue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

aroshtr

Having used those rings in many rifles I'm surprised that you're getting slipping. I'm assuming (just checking) that you're using the correct inserts with each other, i.e. 0 with 0 or -5 with +5?

I found on my 629 that I was getting the rear windage screws to loosen up and not the ring screws. An alternative is to torque the ring screws to spec but use a bit of Loctite on them, assuming it's loosening of these screws that is causing your problem. Threadlocker Blue 242 is what I'd look at.

If it is the plastic inserts not holding the scope then I'd go back to paragraph #1 - double check your inserts. Whenever I install them there is usually 1/16" gap or more on one end of the inserts such that you can see that they don't quite meet. And, I've never had the ends of the rings (top to bottom) meet each other. If either one of these is occurring I'd suspect something is wrong.

Good luck!

also very surprised. Same rings dont slip on my 9 pound edge! dont use XTR rings. lapped mine and they slipped like craze on the same edge.

3M makes a liquid electrical coating called Scotchkote. I have used many times. It cleans off easy. Shoud be easy to find.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am pretty sure that the rings are staying tight, but I dont think there is 1/16" gap on the plastic inserts either. Maybe we will try and sand a little off each side to allow more clamping force. i know we are using the both 0 inserts, and they are not mixed up with -/+5's.

The recoil from this pistol is much more violent than a rifle. It is shooting a 200grn bullet ast 2400fps. I have these rings on several of my rifles, and had no problems. I just think this handgun is outside the norm by a little.

Do you guys think that an all metal ring would privide better grip?, or would we be better off adding another ring or two to the syatem if they will fit?

Thanks

aroshtr

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.