Scope Shimming for long range

Retusmce7

here is my question ,what os the best way to set a scope up for long range shots. i have heard several things from shimming to special rings .suggestion please

shimming

thanks , i know i have 28 up on my scope but they a re 1/8 clicks . i already figured using my software i need to shim but this article gives me the answer i needed. i never had to worry about this in Corp my Armors took care of that
thanks againgun)

You could change the base for one with a 10-20-25 MOA built in, that would eleviate the need for shimming with the possibility of damaging the scope.

Sorry If this is a hijack. I'm new here by the way. Wouldn't the action/scope be more solid with a 1pc. canted scope base? I'm not sure I understand why you would use shims. thanks for info. Great website!

Last edited:
Sorry If this is a hijack. I'm new here by the way. Wouldn't the action/scope be more solid with a 1pc. canted scope base? I'm not sure I understand why you would use shims. thanks for info. Great website by the way.
yes, if you shim a two piece the scope rings won't be in perfect alignment w/ each other, and it will torque on the scope tube. Badger or Nightforce makes the best one-piece.
Item_BadgerOrd_Rem700SA_20MOA_scope_base.jpg

Variable Gantry Mount

Give Christopher Self a call (334) 872- 0121 or (334) 872-1987 at Miricle Machine Works, he makes an adjustable picatinny rail base with 10 varriable adjustments. Expensive but very effective.

Rustystud

scope shimming

here is my question ,what os the best way to set a scope up for long range shots. i have heard several things from shimming to special rings .suggestion please

I recently installed Burris rings with the offset kit on my Savage with Bushnell 4200. Using the maximum offset, I am zero'd at 200 with about 1.5 minutes left to bottom out. I think this is a pretty sweet set up, less than 40 bucks from optics planet. I have enough 'down' to allow for different loads, and as much 'up' as practically possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.