Scope Shimming for long range

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Retusmce7, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Retusmce7

Retusmce7 Active Member

here is my question ,what os the best way to set a scope up for long range shots. i have heard several things from shimming to special rings .suggestion please

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

3. Retusmce7

Retusmce7 Active Member

shimming

thanks , i know i have 28 up on my scope but they a re 1/8 clicks . i already figured using my software i need to shim but this article gives me the answer i needed. i never had to worry about this in Corp my Armors took care of that
    thanks againgun)

4. BHP9

BHP9 Well-Known Member

You could change the base for one with a 10-20-25 MOA built in, that would eleviate the need for shimming with the possibility of damaging the scope.

5. soren

soren Well-Known Member

Sorry If this is a hijack. I'm new here by the way. Wouldn't the action/scope be more solid with a 1pc. canted scope base? I'm not sure I understand why you would use shims. thanks for info. Great website!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  6. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

yes, if you shim a two piece the scope rings won't be in perfect alignment w/ each other, and it will torque on the scope tube. Badger or Nightforce makes the best one-piece.
    [​IMG]

7. Rustystud

Rustystud Well-Known Member

Variable Gantry Mount

Give Christopher Self a call (334) 872- 0121 or (334) 872-1987 at Miricle Machine Works, he makes an adjustable picatinny rail base with 10 varriable adjustments. Expensive but very effective.

Rustystud

8. Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw Well-Known Member

new base

+1 on the 40MOA canted base.

9. redstater

redstater Active Member

scope shimming

I recently installed Burris rings with the offset kit on my Savage with Bushnell 4200. Using the maximum offset, I am zero'd at 200 with about 1.5 minutes left to bottom out. I think this is a pretty sweet set up, less than 40 bucks from optics planet. I have enough 'down' to allow for different loads, and as much 'up' as practically possible.