scope selection for my rem. 700 sps 7mag

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by onebadmuley, Jan 11, 2010.

1. onebadmuley

onebadmuley New Member

hello i have a new rem. 700 sps 7mag and im looking for some advise on scope selection. i would like to reach out to the 700-800 yard mark. any suggestions/advise welcome. ive been thinking about the nikon monarch 6-24x50 because of cost. is this a good scope? or should i be looking at something else

2. theodore

theodore Well-Known Member

6-24 is plenty of power for 800 yards.

Beware that the BDC reticle will only work at max power because of the second focal plane. I shot thier cheapest model (3-9x BDC, $170) and did well up to 700 yards with a 243.

3. onebadmuley

onebadmuley New Member

thats good to know, thank you. any other scopes you recommend.

4. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

You could take a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP5 at the Optics Zone, I've got the 4.5x22.5x50 and actually prefer it over my Nikon Tactical. Definately worth a look.

Chris

5. fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

Everyone's eye is a little different, so what might appear to be a great scope to some may appear to be mediocre to others. Point being, try to get your hands on as many scopes as possible. When I was on a budget i looked at the Nikon Monarchs as well. I found them to be of very good quality for the price.... but decided against one because of the reticles (too light, I like the sharp black ones like Zeiss uses). I ultimately went with a Sightron Big Sky II and all I can say is ...WOW! One of the best kept secrets in mid-priced scopes, just as good as my Bushnell 6500 series and blows my Leupolds out of the water. Speaking of Bushnell, you would also be hard pressed to find a better value then their Elite 4200 series. Good luck with your search.

6. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member