Scope ring advice for new Savage hunter

arizona mike

Just got in a new Savage Predator Hunter in 22-250. It came with weaver bases. Going to be mounting a Leupold Firedot VXR in 3x9x40mm. I'm wondering if I should just mount scope rings and be done with it or if there might be a better option? Want to keep it low so not sure if a one piece rail would be a good idea or not. Not much recoil on this rifle so I'm guessing "killer" rings aren't necessary? Hoping this will be my "go to" coyote rifle. Thanks guys,
Arizona Mike

Hey, thanks for the tip on the Burris rings. I checked it out online and the inserts seem like a good idea and should eliminate some work with lapping, etc. Using the inserts instead of the scope adjustment on initial sighting seems like a good idea too. I'm just wondering if over time as the inserts compress how much that is going to change things....seems like there is potential for this. Have you found any changes occuring in the scope(s) you have tried these on? How long have you had the inserts in? Thanks!

Never had any problem with them over time ... if you're concern about wear and tear, you can buy just the inserts too (1 Signature Ring ***-Align Offset Inserts Installation Kit .005 .010 .020).

I highly recommend Signature rings for your rifle. It's not uncommon for Savage rifles to have the barrel mis-aligned with the receiver. Signature rings will correct that problem.

OK, Burris signature zee rings it is! Burris does not offer the 30mm rigns in a "low" so I am hoping the mediums are not too high, my objective is not all that big. Lots of shooters seem to be recommending these, thanks to all who recommended them, I didn't know they existed. I'm not too excited about the possibility of a misaligned barrel/receiver though. I am wondering how this occurs. Seems like if the receiver is squared up true (a simple manufacturing process) and the barrel threads are trued up, everything should mate up straight and true. Does anyone have any insight how misalignment on a Savage occurs?

In high volume rifle production, the receiver probably moves from one CNC machine to another. With multiple operators on multiple shifts, the tooling can get off. Savage knows the alignment tolerance can be loose and the rifle will still shoot fine. If the misalignment is up or down, the customer will never know.

Well, that sounds like a possibility I guess. Savage has gotten such a good reputation the last couple of years. I would think they did this in part by having the quality control pretty well set up by now. I guess the tale will be in the shooting once I get it set up and sighted in!
On a different note, I just picked up the rifle. Much to my surprise the barrel is completely fluted. Very cool looking. The Savge site did not make mention of this so it was kind of a bonus I guess. Waiting for rings to show uo so I can sight in. Thanks for all the help and insight!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.