Scope review, what do you guys think of these?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by nimrodtracy, Dec 29, 2012.

1. nimrodtracy

nimrodtracy Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about these scopes, going on a 308 700 to do some Long Distant varmint/target shooting.

Weaver Kaspa Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-12x 44mm Side Focus

Hawke Varmint Side Focus 3-12x44

Thanks

Tracy

2. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

If i'm not mistaken they're both made in China. I have the 3-12x Kaspa on a Ruger Charger and it's fine for that use. It has the mushiest turret i've ever used though it does return to zero no problem. I have the 4-16x Hawke SF Varmint model and it's ...OK... The reticle is thicker than i like to use and the 1/2 mil lines are also too thick...IMO. A 1/2 mil dot-line system is much easier applied when it's a fine-line reticle.

I'm assuming the 3-12x is just the std. mil-dot, and if that's the case it oughtta' be OK if you don't expect Leupold+ quality out of it.

3. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Depending on your definition of 'longrange' 12x is probably not enough magnification. Look at 15x or more (personally, I prefer a top end of 25x). As for scopes that balance quality and price, look at Sightron SIII.

4. toddc

toddc Well-Known Member

Considering its a 308 the 12x is probly ok lol. I would ASSume OP wants less than 1500 yd capability(I hope). Sightron is good, vortex, weaver tactical($700+), bushnell tactical($700+) all would be good ones to look thru.

Also dont discount bushy 3200 and 4200.