Scope rectical leveling?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Bigcat_hunter, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter Well-Known Member

What is a good way to level your cross hairs when installing a scope with out buying anything? I usually just eyeball it but its always off a little.

A cheap item that does a good job is the Segway Reticle Leveler

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Bigcat_hunter

Never mind, I fingered it out with some string, a weight and some RV levels.

3. philny1

philny1 Well-Known Member

I put my bipod on the rifle. Set it on a table that I have leveled. Line up the vertical crosshair with the grout joint between the ceramic tiles above the laundry tubbs that I know to be plumb.
    The level table is next to the frig.

4. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

5. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

I always bore sight int he garage off a work table my wife bought me. On the garage door and on a wall I have a cross, each made with a level square and plumb. I am left handed and I have to be careful to get it exactly right or the reticle will appeaqr tilted should a right hander use my rifle. After I get bore sighted I open the garage door and proof my bore sighting on my neighbors Ford truck hubcap centre. Bore sighting and levelling the table as well as the gun always puts me within 3" at 100yrds when I go to the range. So I waste a lot less ammo and dont have to find the paper.

6. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

I use a long spirit level over the base to level the rifle (on the bipod and sand bags) and then put in the scope, tighten the rings up until the scope is *just* loose, then line the horizontal up with the leveled spirit level placed at a distance. Seems to work ok

7. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

NF says use a string and plumb bob at 100 yards.....kinda a pian I broke weak and bought a boresighter with the laser level thing and leveling x hair target...cost me a $150 bucks but feels good when your buddies say "your scope is lop sided" and you just "nope your head is!"

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

And the winner is

Big_Cat Hunter and Silvertip_co;)

Basis is self innovativeness and "how does this look to the neighbor." :D

Oh, and $ savings was also a criteria. Hey, more money for bullets and powder.;)

9. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Based on what I have seen I am not sure you will ever get some "recticals" level.:p

BH

10. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

From your spelling I cant figure out if you want to level the cross hairs of your rectal or your reticle, either way I can help you out.
    If it is your rectal cross hairs you want to level it is very simple. take a bubble level and put it on your toilet seat and slip in a sheet of TP or 2 in one of the four corners until the bubble is in the center (centre if you are french). then sit and measure the distance between your hips and knees, when the distance is the same your rectal crosshairs are level.
    If it is your reticle cross hairs you are trying to level $18.50 to Sinclair for a Segway reticle leveler is a bargain. mine was made by 7mmrhb that slides into your action so it is perfectly square to the bore of your barrel because it sits on your bolt lug recesses.
    UB
    ps If you are trying to eyeball it the reticle is 99.9% better than the rectal

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  11. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I always thought that there must me a product that does that, now I will have to get one and retire the old spirit level

12. Bigcat_hunter

That defeats the "not having to buy anything" purpose.

13. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

That is true but sometimes you have to come up with a little scratch to do things right, bubblegum, duct tape and a plumb bob can only go so far.
    UB