scope recomendations

dbowen

I got invited to S.D. to shoot pdogs. I'm looking for a scope for my savage mod 12 in .223. Range starts about 300 on out. I've been looking at dif scopes, reading specs, and wondering if anyone can give me some guidance. My budget is about $500.

Lots of good scopes to choose from up to $500. I do a little prairie poodle shooting and for a variable power scope, I'd want something that goes up to the 12 or 18 power range. You might consider some of the Bushnell 3200 or 4200 series, Nikon Monarch 4-16X42, and Vortex Vipers (not the Viper PST's, they're >$500).

Those are the first that come to my mind. I'm sure others will chime in with some good recommendations.

I started with a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50. Didn't really know what good glass was until I upgraded to a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40. I have two 3-9X40's on hunting rifles: a Nikon Monarch and Vortex Viper. They seem very sharp and clear to me. Of course, I've never looked through Nightforce, or Leupold Mark 4, or Schmidt & Bender glass, etc. to compare mine to.

Give Wonder optic a look. WOTAC Rifle Scopes Better glass and adjustments than the Bushnel or Nikons. The reticle is awesome, I was shooting mine this weekend and if you miss the first shot line back up and see what MOA you need, make adjustment and send it!
My brother in-law was very impressed with it, and at $329 you can set in a good set of rings for well under what your working with.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.