Scope Power

dragman

I am shooting a 7SAUM and I have charts out to 1400 yards (That is the limit for my setup on deer) I am getting ready to rescope it as I sold the scope that was on it to buy a gun a friend of mine that he was selling. He backed out now I need a new scope.
I like power! I don't know if I am the only one but 90% of my shooting is on steel plates and crows @ 800-1200. I like the power the hole way up. for deer hunting I will crank it down as I am not trying to shoot groups just place one shot.
I sold my 12-42NXS was happy with the power now I regret selling it but oh well. I tried my 8-32 but I do feel like I need more power when I am shooting for group. it would be fine for hunting but like I said that is probably only 10% of what this rig see's. I am thinking a 15-55 comp. I have one on a bench gun and really love it, but my only consearn is the turret only being 5moa instead of 10.
Am I the only one that likes the big power and is there something out there I am missing that maybe the best choice??

Personally I like my 6-18 on my 300 rum. And that's shooting 1400 yards.

On my lapua I've got a 5.5-22 and I feel that is more the sufficient for shooting out past 1600 yards.

I like to be able to see my hits at that distance and with a super high power scope your going to be off target upon firing. But I don't need to count hairs at that distance either so no need for a scope with that much power.

What's your retained energy at 1400 yards with your 7??

don't have my chart in front of me I believe it's still around 800ft/lbs.

I think my problem is I come from a pure target world and hunting has always been second to me. so when I set up to hunt it's hard to change.

I do use a sinclair tactical bipod and can spot shots easy as close as 200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.