Scope Power?

Redneck, if you are using a 2nd FP scope and some kind of ballistic reticle, then your holds will be off... unless you dial in corrections.
Then you better have turrets that are both absolutely accurate and repeatable.

Thats what I was thinkin......on a second fp scope the wind holds would be off unless on full power...... Unless you dialed the wind and hold dead on. Thanks

Thats what I was thinkin......on a second fp scope the wind holds would be off unless on full power...... Unless you dialed the wind and hold dead on. Thanks

You're correct, the SFP hash marks will change with magnification adjustment. Then again, if you're got time to fiddle fart around with magnification adjustment due to mirage, you got enough time to dial your drop & drift. Again, for consistent performance at extended ranges, 15x just doesn't cut it in my book. On the other hand, most hunting rifles are not bench rifles; right? As I posted before, my 6.5 wears a 17x USO which wouldn't provide the most optimal magnification for consistent 1000yd shooting :rolleyes: Will this gun be accurate at 1000yds? Absolutely. Will the majority of my shots be taken at 1000yds? Nope, not even close.

Basically it's up to the end user to determine:

1- How far they intend to shoot
2- How often they intend to shoot at that distance
3- Whether or not they use the hash marks for drop & drift (SFP vs FFP).

My last two scope purchases were FFP, one in MILS (Leupy) & one in MOA (USO). We'll see if they are worth it or not, i'm still on the fence. I also shoot a NightForce (SFP) with great results, here in Wyo there just aren't that many days ahuntin' where I need to adjust or compensate for mirage. Majority of the time you can watch the mirage at your target & get a better understanding of what the wind is doing down there.... Mirage isn't ALWAYS your enemy :D

t

Since the OP posted this in the ELR section that starts at 1000 I will assume 1000 to be a minimum. I shoot past 1000 on a regular basis and have experimented with both the 8x32 and 5.5x22 NXS scopes. My best ever group past 1000 was with a 8x32 and was under 2 1/2" at 1010 yards. This was on a day with little to no mirage, and those are not the norm. So all I can attribute this to was the increased power, the larger target and that the increased power makes any movement in your hold more visible as you brake the shot. Also the higher magnification does allow for a smaller point of aim that will definitely shrink groups.

Now that said, I removed the 8x32 and returned to the 5.5x22. Reasons was mostly from the loss of total elevation adjustment but mirage and field of view was also a factor. So what I have come to believe for my ELR shooting the 5.5x22 will fill the bill on more days better than the 8x32.

I have shot with 10x scopes to 1200 yards with good results. In that case it the success was very much due to a very fine precise reticle with small subtensions.

So in summery, for ELR work starting at 1000 yards I would definitely recommend a fine reticle especially if small groups are on the menu and would also go with a scope with 20 to 25 X on the top end. Also I would insist an a fine reticle for any work at 1000 and beyond.

Jeff

I have a 6 x 24 x 50 and a 4.5 x 30 x 50 and honestly the upper end of either scope is more than enough magnification for me. However I love the the 4.5 low end in low light and for field of view, but not ALL of my shots are true long range and I end up in low light coyote hunting often so for me the 6x plus zoom is my favorite. I am of the opinion that it only matters what YOU are gonna do with YOUR gun to pick optics so chose a scope that suits how and what you are gonna shoot at! Hope this helps

... while others do it with iron sights. It simply amazes me and I never get tired watching it ...

Nobody should be amazed by this. There's not that much shooter skill involved here.

What we're not told is that he's been shooting that same target, from that same position, with that same rifle, same iron sights, 10 shots a day, two days a week, for 10 years. This feat is no different than that of those old West show cowboys who throw quarters in the air and hit em every time with their Peacemaker revolver or lever carbine, or that guy that shoots thrown plates with a bow from horseback, etc. They can do it every time because they've done it 10,000 times.

Put this guy on an unfamiliar barren range, no trees, no landmarks, with a giraffe gong instead of a bison or whatever that was, at the exact same range, elevation, wind, etc, and he'll miss the first 5 shots, probably the first 25 shots or more.

What we're seeing here is repetition skill, NOT pure rifleman skill.

Nobody should be amazed by this. There's not that much shooter skill involved here.

What we're not told is that he's been shooting that same target, from that same position, with that same rifle, same iron sights, 10 shots a day, two days a week, for 10 years. This feat is no different than that of those old West show cowboys who throw quarters in the air and hit em every time with their Peacemaker revolver or lever carbine, or that guy that shoots thrown plates with a bow from horseback, etc. They can do it every time because they've done it 10,000 times.

Put this guy on an unfamiliar barren range, no trees, no landmarks, with a giraffe gong instead of a bison or whatever that was, at the exact same range, elevation, wind, etc, and he'll miss the first 5 shots, probably the first 25 shots or more.

What we're seeing here is repetition skill, NOT pure rifleman skill.
Im sure you would outshoot him with your no rangefinder,308, $90 scope,$3 rings/base system. See the following link.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/barnes-ttsx-110-308-2230-max-load-trajectory-103032/

500 yd

It is obvious that you have never spent a day shooting along side him. He is not at the top of the list at most matches by luck.
Cliff

500 yd

It is obvious that you have never spent a day shooting along side him. He is not at the top of the list at most matches by luck.
Cliff

I didn't even catch the shooter's name. My comment was based on the quality and accuracy of History Channel shows going steadily downhill over the years in an attempt to grab a piece of the "reality TV" type of audience.. When the "History" Channel started airing shows claiming the Nazca Lines were really built by aliens, and shows presenting paranormal events as "real", they lost a lot, if not all, credibility as a source of accurate history information, forcing many long time viewers such as myself to view their programming content with a heathly dose of skepticism.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.