Scope mounts and lapping..??

At the risk of offending the whole world............If you ever step into harms way: remove your burris signature rings and throw them as far as you can. My wife's rifles get very few miles and maybe fifty rounds annually and signature rings give good service. My rifles get shot allot and log many miles. Signature rings are not for me anymore.

At the risk of offending the whole world............If you ever step into harms way: remove your burris signature rings and throw them as far as you can. My wife's rifles get very few miles and maybe fifty rounds annually and signature rings give good service. My rifles get shot allot and log many miles. Signature rings are not for me anymore.

So what. Rings do you use.

I like the extra wide "tactical" rings and even run quad tacticals on one rifle, generally speaking I like anything without "inserts. In case you had not figured it out: I had a ghost plaguing one of my systems for awhile and I waisted allot of ammo trying to find it, It turned out to be the signature rings and they just would not lock it down, it kept sliding and sliding back to it's original location so identifying the problem was a bear. In defense of the signature rings: they were not the only ones to fail on that rifle and that rifle is the one that needed the four tac ring set up. For some of the stuff I do and the significant priority I have to place on a reliable and uncorrected first round hit, the signature rings are just not a chance I will take again. I have come to the place were I think scope rings are an area to invest, they are a great spot to go into "overkill". I have to be ultra confident in my gear in order to take the shot at all.

I concur with ALL comments about Burris Signature Rings. They even do away with those way too expensive silly 20 MOA rails.

Lapping rings is like still using a dial phone. :D

You kids are something else.... Dail phones are still just fine IMO.

Owning a shop, I make all my own alignment bars from stainless stock and my lapping bars from low carbon blanks. I want maximum contact and rings parallel to the receiver at all times. Even if the alignment is spot on with no visible offset in the halves, I lightly lap with Clover lapping compound to 'freshen up' the bearing surface. SOP with me.

I bought a set of Burris rings on advice of a member on here and took them back. I don't like the insert idea. More parts means more chance for movement in a heavy recoiling rifle, in my personal observation.

Novel idea but not for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts