Scope Mounting Question

heiner39

I just picked up a Leupold VX-II and found the tube to be shorter than my old Bushnell Legend. I have a long action Savage and find that the rings are too far apart for the shorter tube.

Not being knowledgable with scopes and mounts, I'm wondering what the best route would be to take. What would be a better mount...a pictinny style one piece mount with my current Weaver style rings or should I go with extension rings? I have no idea what would be the more reliable/solid option.

yes the one piece rail will be the stronger mounting system. a one piece rail helps to bridge the gap of the ejection port and add some strength to the receiver. there is nothing wrong with a 2 piece mounting system and it does decrease weight but if you can take the weight why not go with the stronger system.

one good question i was recently asked and i am not real sure of is the difference between different rail systems. mainly the difference in the foot print between the NF, Mk4, and Warne rail bases. that is a question i would like to know the answer too.

steve

yes the one piece rail will be the stronger mounting system. a one piece rail helps to bridge the gap of the ejection port and add some strength to the receiver. there is nothing wrong with a 2 piece mounting system and it does decrease weight but if you can take the weight why not go with the stronger system.

one good question i was recently asked and i am not real sure of is the difference between different rail systems. mainly the difference in the foot print between the NF, Mk4, and Warne rail bases. that is a question i would like to know the answer too.

steve

What type of one piece rail would you recommend? Are the ones from Weaver or B-Square any good or do you think I should spend more money?

The Seekins bases and rings are 7000 series Al. Very tough, will not corrode and very light. When I exchanced my Farrell pic base and Mark 4 rings for the Seekins setup, my rifle lost nearly 1/2 lb. The Seekins pic base has an integral recoil lug and some pic bases don't--mechanically, it seems like it'd better to have the lug and not be completely reliant on the base screws, especially with the hard hitting mags most of us are shooting. Good luck. Oh, and Glen's prices are actually reasonable and he's a member here.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.