Scope mount advice needed for new 300 RUM

yazoomark

Hey folks, I've been lurking here a while now and have enjoyed all of the useful information. I recently purchased a sendero in 300RUM along with a Leupold vx-3 4x14 50mm obj. 30mm tube. My buddy is encouraging me to get a one piece piccatiny rail for the scope mount. My questions are 1) will the rail mount affect the ejection of the spent cartridge? 2) are some 1913 rails better than others and why? 3) what are the advantages to a rail vs. two piece mounts.
Thanks for any input. I'm sure I will have more questions to follow.
Mark

My questions are 1) will the rail mount affect the ejection of the spent cartridge? 2) are some 1913 rails better than others and why? 3) what are the advantages to a rail vs. two piece mounts.
Thanks for any input. I'm sure I will have more questions to follow.
Mark

1) No, the rail will not affect ejection

2) Yes, some are better. Some are steel, some are aluminum, some are machined to tighter tolerances, etc. Night Force, Badger Ordnance, Ken Farrel are some options for good quality rails. Badger is my favorite, and that is not a complete list of "good" rails by any means.

3) A rail will add a little stiffness to your action, although that is not a major consideration to me. With a rail you have a greater range of options with where you mount the scope/rings. You can attach other devices to the rail such as levels or ACI. Rails are available with anything from 10 to 40 moa slope to maximize the use of your scope adjustment range if you doing dial ups. If you have multiple rifles with rails it is easy to swap scopes from one rife to another without having to un-mount the scope from the rings. I could probably go on, but those are the major ones that come to mind.

1> The rail should not affect ejection.
2> I do not know of one that is better than the rest.
3> I like the rails, because you can get elivation built into the rail and shoot long range without having the scope maxed out for elivation.

For heavy recoiling rifles like the 300 RUM I prefer the steel rails.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts