Scope Lapping?

shiredude

Recently bit the bullet and bought a scope ring lapping kit. I had never done this before and it all makes sense so I thought I needed one. This kit comes with the info for torque, lapping bar, lapping compound, levels, etc. My question is: Suggested torque for ring screws is only 15 in/lbs. Does this seem sufficient? In the past, I have always tightened them until I pretty much twisted the inluded torx head wrench.

Just seems light to me, but that's what it calls for???????

Shiredude,

I'm one of the most probably only a few that are with you on this one.

My torx wrenches look more like screws.

On non magnums I don't hawg 'em nearly as much but on the big thumpers they are "tight".

There seems to be some concern about crushing the scope but so far I've not had that problem.

Also I don't seem to have ring mark problems either.....

Right on. All my big magnums are torqued down until the wrench twists and I haven't crushed a scope yet. I did put some "removeable lock-tite" on these this weekend at 15 in/lbs, but still, it seems light to me, even on a light recoiling rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.