Scope Info for my .375 H&H

mdslammer

Hi Guys,

I just ordered my CZ 550 Safari .375 H&H today. Looking for suggestions for
a scope to put on it.

What power and eye relief do you recommend? Prices/Brands etc.

Any other info you feel relevant would be appreciated.

Thanks guy.

Mark

I've had a variety of scopes on mine, currently a Leupold European 1-4 is on it, but a fixed 10X was on it when it was my cast bullet rifle. Right now I've got better set ups for medium and longer range. The question becomes how does it fit in your line up, 1 rifle or many, and what will be the circumstances how you use it? For sure any scope you put on it should be capable of withstanding recoil, and have a warranty that says so. I've shot the crosshairs out of more than one inexpensive scope. I like 30mm tubes, and if I was going to use my .375 more, I would go with the Leupold 2.5-8x Mark 4 MR/T I have on another rifle. If that was out of my price range, the standard Leupold 2.5-8x VX 111 also has given good service. The Nightforce 2-10x compact deserves a look, and the Leupold 2-12x as well. Go back in the articles for a good review of the Leupold, might be the Nightforce as well, but I don't recall one.

I bought the same model and caliber last year. I went with a Leupold VX-III 1.5x5x20 with a German #4 reticle. It works for me. Dangerous game shots, especially in Africa where vlood means you pay the trophy fee regardless if you recover the animal, are taken between 20 and 65 yards. If you're baiting lion or leopard (in a country that mandates the IMO too large .375 for leopard), you'll be under 50 yards.

If plains game hunting with the H&H, just adjust the to where you know it's zeroed to 100 or 159 yards, or whatever you are comfortable with. It would be my plains game caliber of choice if I had a chance at an Eland.

If I DO get to hunt Africa and leopard is available, I will hunt in a country that allows a more appropriate caliber for the small thin-skinned leopard. A good bullet in a 30-06 would be my leopard caliber of choice. I'll also use the '06 on plains game except Eland.

My Africa hunting wants:
1. Cape Buffalo - I want the chance at a bull that looks at you like you owe him money
2. Kudu - I met a native African in a bar and he said Kudu is the best tasting critter on God's earth
2a. Eland - the Grey Ghost (Kudu) is elusive - Eland is a second choice
3. Leopard - I'd get the pictures and the thrill of the hunt but would have to sell the full mount to a rich guy - it would be my way of offsetting the safari expense.

Buffalo and Kudu meals would be my immediate award on Safari. The trackers would feed their family and village with the rest of the meat. The mounted horns and leopard pictures would be my trophies.

Thanks for the suggestions and info fellas.

I purchased the Leupold VX-III, 3.5-10x40mm / Boone & Crockett reticle.

I spoke with the people at CZ and they recommended the CZ rings made
especially for the CZ 550 Safari .375 H&H which I purchased.

I p/u my .375 yesterday from my local FFL dealer. She looks great. Seem to be
very sturdy and well built. I have a few different types of ammo to try out.
Break in the barrel and make sure the iron sights are in line before mounting
the new scope.

Problem is, right now here in Las Vegas, NV we are experiencing some brutal heat for
the next 5-6 days. Temps up as high as 116*-118*. Even at 06:00 it's
already at 91*. Way too hot right now.

Thanks again.

MDslammer / Mark

Sounds like a good time to evaluate those loads for temperature sensitivity. No need to test me its out of my comfort range. Upper 60's here, raining, with thunder booming since sometime in the night. I hope it backs off enough for you to test it out soon.

Sounds like a good time to evaluate those loads for temperature sensitivity. No need to test me its out of my comfort range. Upper 60's here, raining, with thunder booming since sometime in the night. I hope it backs off enough for you to test it out soon.

I grew up here and living in the heat has been part of it. But now that I'm older (61) I really loath the extreme heat.

Will wait until it passes and gets back to the normal temps around 106-110.

I helped my grandmother irrigate in the San Joaquin Valley, I remember a stretch when the lowest high temperature was 113. I've been on a couple of Antelope hunts in Nevada, that were on the warm side. We do adapt, but thank goodness for AC.

Thanks for the suggestions and info fellas.

I purchased the Leupold VX-III, 3.5-10x40mm / Boone & Crockett reticle.

I spoke with the people at CZ and they recommended the CZ rings made
especially for the CZ 550 Safari .375 H&H which I purchased.

I p/u my .375 yesterday from my local FFL dealer. She looks great. Seem to be
very sturdy and well built. I have a few different types of ammo to try out.
Break in the barrel and make sure the iron sights are in line before mounting
the new scope.

Problem is, right now here in Las Vegas, NV we are experiencing some brutal heat for
the next 5-6 days. Temps up as high as 116*-118*. Even at 06:00 it's
already at 91*. Way too hot right now.

Thanks again.

MDslammer / Mark

The VXIII 3.5-10x40 is a pretty solid choice IMO. Because the H&H is more of an all around type cartridge, I think an all around type scope makes sense.

My CZ wears a Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x42 with #4A ranging reticle mounted in Warne QD rings.

I like it a lot, but it does have two shortcomings: The eye relief is a bit short. It's not a problem for offhand shooting, but requires one to pay attention from the bench. The other shortcoming also manifests itself mainly from the bench-- limited magnification. When doing load development, more magnification really helps. Being limited to 6X makes it difficult for me to shoot at small targets in the "round robin" fashion that I am used to.

I have another set of Warne QD rings waiting for a scope. I have hit upon the idea of moving my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 w/RZ-1000 reticle to the CZ for load development, and possibly, field use in NA. While working on a load for the Hornady 300g SPBT, I discovered that the trajectory closely matched the RZ-1000 reticle all the way to 1000 yards. I am looking forward to playing with that once I settle on a final load.

I have also been working on some long range loads using some high bc bullets. If successful, I will have to step up to a scope with more internal adjustment.

When I take my CZ to Africa, however, it will be wearing the Meopta.

The VXIII 3.5-10x40 is a pretty solid choice IMO. Because the H&H is more of an all around type cartridge, I think an all around type scope makes sense.

My CZ wears a Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x42 with #4A ranging reticle mounted in Warne QD rings.

I like it a lot, but it does have two shortcomings: The eye relief is a bit short. It's not a problem for offhand shooting, but requires one to pay attention from the bench. The other shortcoming also manifests itself mainly from the bench-- limited magnification. When doing load development, more magnification really helps. Being limited to 6X makes it difficult for me to shoot at small targets in the "round robin" fashion that I am used to.

I have another set of Warne QD rings waiting for a scope. I have hit upon the idea of moving my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 w/RZ-1000 reticle to the CZ for load development, and possibly, field use in NA. While working on a load for the Hornady 300g SPBT, I discovered that the trajectory closely matched the RZ-1000 reticle all the way to 1000 yards. I am looking forward to playing with that once I settle on a final load.

I have also been working on some long range loads using some high bc bullets. If successful, I will have to step up to a scope with more internal adjustment.

When I take my CZ to Africa, however, it will be wearing the Meopta.

benchracer,
Thanks for taking time to give me your perspective and info. Glad to hear my choice was OK for my .375 H&H.

benchracer,
Thanks for taking time to give me your perspective and info. Glad to hear my choice was OK for my .375 H&H.

I hope that my feedback was useful to you. I am always interested to hear from others shooting .375's, but especially the H&H and even more so in a CZ 550/BRNO 602 type action.

I hope that you will provide updates on your progress with your rifle from time to time.

I hope that my feedback was useful to you. I am always interested to hear from others shooting .375's, but especially the H&H and even more so in a CZ 550/BRNO 602 type action.

I hope that you will provide updates on your progress with your rifle from time to time.

I don't know how much I can add to this already knowledgeable forum, but for
what it's worth, I certainly will.

Lapping the CZ rings now and then will mount my scope. I hope for cooler
weather next week so I can get out to break in the barrel and zero my scope.

Thanks again.

MDslammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.