Scope for small bore silhouette?

phillietimothy

Hello fellas, I will be purchasing a Savage Mark II GL 22lr. I will be starting small bore silhouette. I will be adding a Bushnell 3200 Mil Dot 10x40 with AO, since this is a fixed power scope - the distance between the dots will always be 3.6" ? Is this correct? I want to determine whether I prefer mil dot holdover or dialing. I realize that there are better scopes with variable power and higher magnification; but since I am just starting, $250 for the rifle and $160 for the scope seem reasonable. By the way, the distances are 45, 66, 85, and 109 yards. Will this be an okay scope to start with? All input appreciated.

tim, sillouette is an excellant place to learn. that said i dont think the bushnell 3200 10x tacticle is your best choice. i have one and it does not have parralex adjustment. possibly the newer ones do, but id be sure of that before buying one.
dont hesitate to spend more on scope than gun.
in your case it will matter as target knobs and a.o. are important.
nikon makes some very good scopes with those features. something in the 4x12 power range would work well. it could always be moved to another gun later.
side parralex adjustment would be a good feature also. the nikon buckmaster has all the features you need.
check out cameraland, a sponcer here.
i would also check ebay for a used one.
im sure there are other good scope choices also.

i use a mildot scope on both my hunter and standard rifles, but prefer a target dot, and turrets to dial in the distance just right.

adjust magnification so that dot covers or just covers the silhouette, then squeeze.

i'm running the mildot now as my rifles are doing "triple duty" (centerfire trainer, silhoutte shooters, and squirrel getters) and have tried the holdover / under technique last year. gets a little confusing here and there, but not impossible to do. just too much stuff to remeber for me while under the clock.

even on my 6-24x, i like to use 6x for chickens, 8x for pigs, 10x for turkey and 12x on rams. anything higher and my FOV gets alittle to narrow and i tend to lose what target i'm on in sequence, then have to go back to the beginning of the bank. basically i waste too much time searching for the correct target, but that's just me.

i'm sure the 10x will be ok, but i like the variable scopes on everything i have, it's nice to have the option if needed. but with the mildots, it'll be very rare if the dots will line up exactly at the different distances on a fixed power. at least with a variable and a second focal plane, you can adjust magnification to line the dots up just right.

anyhow, after that longwinded soapbox opinion, ultimately it comes down to the shooter and how well he or she feels comfortable and can utilize the equipment they got.

the buckmaster mentioned would probably be the better choice 4-14x or 6-18x, target turrets, target dot, side focus. it's alittle more $ than what you said your paying for the bushnell, but worth it.

there are a few scopes out there in the under than 200.00 range that'll work fine and have the "appropriate" options, it's just a matter of looking. i've had bad luck with the BSA line of "target" scopes, IMO i'd stay away from them.

Many shooters use Leupold VXIII 6.5-20X scopes, others use Sightrons of similar magnification and some use the Bushnell 4200 6-24X scopes. If you follow the trend, you'll notice the majority of shooters use 20-24X magnification.

I personally use 24X Weaver target scopes with a 1/2 MOA dot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.