Scope for sheep rifle

How is that the case? Theres yardages placed on the factory turret. The only way to accurately get those yardages are from atmospheric and ballistic info. So if the atmospheric changes or you change your load how would you change the scope for any of those variables without having a completely different turret made?

Technically you could make the appropriate changes with the numbered BT as it could potentially still show quarter moa hash marks... Just count the clicks and your off to the races... The only limit is the BT is restricted to one full turn, which gets my 300 WSM out to about 750 yards

The factory BT does not come with yardage marked on the turret. The turret has three rings with reference markers on each ring. My Swarovski is mounted on 300 RUM and I have the scope zeroed at 250 with the green marker at 300 the yellow at 400 and the red at 500. There are intermediate marks between each main yardage point. You can also count the small marks beyond last point (red in my case) should you wish to shoot longer. The rings are grooved and can be changed at will to mark your desired trajectory. If you decide in the field to change the colored markers to 350, 500, and 600 (or any yardage you want), it's just a matter of minutes to change them. Same thing to reflect a new drop chart should you go from 500 ft to 9000 ft. Probably a video somewhere to better explain how they work. It's about as versatile as you can get.

The factory BT does not come with yardage marked on the turret. The turret has three rings with reference markers on each ring. My Swarovski is mounted on 300 RUM and I have the scope zeroed at 250 with the green marker at 300 the yellow at 400 and the red at 500. There are intermediate marks between each main yardage point. You can also count the small marks beyond last point (red in my case) should you wish to shoot longer. The rings are grooved and can be changed at will to mark your desired trajectory. If you decide in the field to change the colored markers to 350, 500, and 600 (or any yardage you want), it's just a matter of minutes to change them. Same thing to reflect a new drop chart should you go from 500 ft to 9000 ft. Probably a video somewhere to better explain how they work. It's about as versatile as you can get.

The newest swarovski turret does only have yardages and not the color ring your talking about. trying to find the video but can't. Shows dean sighting in a rifle using it.

It may only take minutes but in the field things happen fast and usually in seconds. Ill stick to moa or mils. much more versatile than using a color coded ring. i just don't see a purpose in creating so much more work for yourself than need be, and i feel moa is much easier system.

But its all about what a shooter is comfortable with. everyones different.

EDIT: Heres a link to the video i was talking about. My apologies its called custom BT but its from swaro factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
The newest swarovski turret does only have yardages and not the color ring your talking about. trying to find the video but can't. Shows dean sighting in a rifle using it.

It may only take minutes but in the field things happen fast and usually in seconds. Ill stick to moa or mils. much more versatile than using a color coded ring. i just don't see a purpose in creating so much more work for yourself than need be, and i feel moa is much easier system.

But its all about what a shooter is comfortable with. everyones different.

EDIT: Heres a link to the video i was talking about. My apologies its called custom BT but its from swaro factory.
SWAROVSKI OPTIK Custom BT - YouTube

I literally just got the brand new custom turret and there are three options... Option 3 gives you yardage but also gives you quarter moa hash marks in between yardage. I would agree, definitely not ideal but for that scope, it's probably sufficient since the elevation adjustment is limited to a full turn

I literally just got the brand new custom turret and there are three options... Option 3 gives you yardage but also gives you quarter moa hash marks in between yardage. I would agree, definitely not ideal but for that scope, it's probably sufficient since the elevation adjustment is limited to a full turn

Can you post a photo of what the hash mark moa looks like? I've never seen it.

Thanks

Can you post a photo of what the hash mark moa looks like? I've never seen it.

Thanks

Unfortunately I did not get that model... I got version 2 that give me 50 yard marks to 300 from my zero, then 25 yard marks to the end of the turn, which for me is about 750 yards

If you go to the Swarovski page, click on blogs, then click on bt cap or something like that, you can navigate your way through the program and it will show you the three options... Apparently it's brand new as of this month

That's almost exactly what I'm looking for I'll look at it:)

I carried a lightweight rifle with a Leupold fixed 4x scope on it while backpacking all over BC's backcountry for many years. Your scope selection is a great scope, but in my personal opinion it is not something you are going to pack on a 30 miles per day trip getting to your hunt area and back, and when the going gets rough, light and small are going to please you more.

Guys, I'm new to the forum and realm of long range shooting/hunting. I'm headed up sheep hunting this fall, here in Wyoming. I'm going to do my best to harvest with my archery gear, but if that fails I need a back up plan. I just purchased a rock river precision sheep rifle chambered in 6.5x284. What are my best options for glass on top of it? And reticle?
Thanks Bryan

for what you are going to do, i recommend you get a vortex from kenton industries. if you're only shooting 400 yards, you don't need a swaro or a nightforce. i don't know what ballistics you are dealing with, but if you end up shooting more than 10 MOA of elevation, i would be shocked. even my Viper PST is way over kill.

i got a dall sheep once, it walked right up to me and i arrowed it a 5 or 6 feet. they have great vision, but they are not really bright.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.