Scope for Ruger Mini-14 Target Rifle

snuff

I am trying to decide which scope for a Ruger Mini-14 Target Rifle. I am sure that I will shoot it at the range for fun but mainly plan to hunt coyotes with it in South Texas. We do not get too many "second shots" in the brush county but it should be fun having that second shot handy when it is needed.

I have 2 Leupold VX-3, 4.5x14x40 with the CDS and love them.

However, I am wondering if I am really going to have time to shoot a coyote with a range finder, adjust the knob, and finally shoot.

Questions: (1) what size scope would you recommend? 4x12, 4.5x14, etc.
(2) Should I spend the money on a VX-3 with CDS or just buy a quality scope with a BDC type reticle and learn to use it?

I have read so much confusing opinions about BDS type reticles and how to use them. Do they really work?

All suggestions are appreciated!!!

Come on man!

I guess ya'll either don't like the idea of a mini-14 target or you are tired of talking about scopes?

I assumed this site was full of varmint hunters, long range shooters, and people with good suggestions on optics.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.