scope for 600yd big game rifle

I am building a big game rifle for shooting out to 600 yards. I am considering what scope to buy and was considering the US Optics 1.8 to 10x 44mm. I have read quite a bit on this board about this company and Nightforce but most of the comments are about the higher magnification models. I would appreciate info from anyone who has experience with this scope.

Douglas ,

The question you ask has puzzled me before and might puzzle me again but here's my thoughts.

You've stated 'longrange rifle' -so i know shots pop up where alot of magnification is a henderence -but how often will you need a 1.8x level of magnification?

A 10x scope will not be enough magnification when you are doing longerange load work and longrange target shooting.
A 5.5 x 22 ,6 x 24 etc. would be my choice b/c i have seen very few shots that could not be made due to too much magnification at the bottom -4x ,5.5x ,6x.
This is only an opinion of coarse -ain't trying to tell you your business.
I'm aware a 10x is plenty of mag- for a longrange shot on an elk but having 20x ,22 or 24x isn't a bad thing in my eyes.
I've heard many good things about US optics but no hands on expierence -sorry.
Best of luck to you -Mike

Go with the 5.5-22 NXS. You wont be disappointed. Plenty of elevation awesome glass Awesome adjustment and almost built bullet proof.

it's one thing to make a shot on a big game animal with 10X, but can you judge an animal at that range good enough.my friend hunted whitetails in Alberta this past year with a 10X. he said he's definitely going to have more magnification next time so he can judge the horns.also when you practice at long distances, you'll be shooting at something a lot smaller and more magnification will help.i'd say something in the 15X range would be minimum for what you want.

I agree that something over 10X is nice to have. But in all honesty 10X is plenty for 600 yards. Resolution is very important for judgeing game animals, and if your 10X is very good in this area along with clairity you should be fine. I have a 308 win that wears a 6X target scope, and hitting the gong at 600 is easy enough. would I like more X's, Yes but 10 would be enough.

On the other hand if you see moving your range out to 1000 some time in the future definetly go to higher magnification.

Doug,
I have one of those scopes and it is superb. Perfect for hunting out to 600. Incredible optics, built like a tank, excellent turrets, have the GA reticle which works perfectly with my .308 ammo. You get what you pay for, this is a fine optic. Also have the NXS equivalent, it is a wonderful scope but suffers a bit in poor light. Might also consider the Leupold MK4 MRT 2.5x-8x - in my opinion this is one of the most overlooked long-range scopes on the market. Fantastic scope for the money.

I agree that a bit more magnification might be nice in really long shots but 8 or 10 will do a fine job on deer out to 6-700 yards.

Good luck with your decision. Owning a USO, S&B or NXS gives a special bit of pride, as well as incredible performance.

Here's another option that nobody has given you that is awsome. The IOR 3-18x42
http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03u
Rifle1.jpg

3-18x42.jpg

mp8b.gif

ior_illum_mp8.jpg

I can shoot large game up to 800yrds no problem and smaller up to 1,000 comfortably.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.