scope for .257 Wby

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by gjk5, Dec 17, 2013.

1. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

bought the Back Country .257 and am looking for glass.

I have the 6.5-20 Conquest on my .30-378 Accumark and love it, but there may be better choices for the money out there. That said the Zeiss glass is unbelievably clear.

I can get any of the Vortex products for dirt cheap, was thinking a PST or HSLR. I have 3 Viper 6.5-20X plain jane scopes and Viper spotter and 15X 'nocs, so no stranger to Vortex.

Any input?

2. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Zeiss 4.5-15x50 demo with target turrets from CameralandNY:
    Zeiss - Camera Land NY

I have/use the Vortex HS LR, and the Zeiss beats it hands down. I will likely be selling my Vortex soon as I purchased another Zeiss recently to replace it. Since the price of the HS LR is about the same as the Zeiss demo, there is no longer a reason to buy the Vortex. When they were $400 the Vortex was a good deal, but they've priced themselves into a different market.

3. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Im with you Doc.....depending on what he's using that 257 for....either the 4.5-15 OR the 6.5-20

4. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

thanks for the input guys, the .257 will be paper, antelope, P-dog/varminter etc. I have a couple of handfuls of rifles I could use to hunt with, just really partial to the Weatherbys.

the Zeiss is definitely GREAT glass. I am low/mid $600's for the HSLR or PST, pretty dead set on the higher magnification.

There is no question the Zeiss gets the edge in light gathering.

5. lloydsmale

lloydsmale Well-Known Member

ive got a vx2 4x12 on mine and have shot deer out past 500 yards and have never felt after a shot that i could use more then 14x on a deer sized animal

6. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

IMO the HSLR is the most versatile long range hunting scope in it's price range. I have the 6-24 HSLR on both of my customs and they perform flawlessly. Once again, for me, they are very hard to beat.

7. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

I just replaced my 6x20 Zeiss with the 5x25HD it is on my .257 Wtherby ULwght.

Low light excellence. The 6x20 went to the Sako .243

8. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

my local shop is going to loan me an HSLR and a HD5.

FWIW the difference in price between the two (in 6-24 and 5-25 respectively) is HEFTY. Like $400+ dollars. And that is the FFP HSLR.