Scope bases (weld them)

The new guns are coming with larger screw size threads than the older ones. Other
than bedding the mount and loctiting the threads there is no reason to go any further.
Any gun that has the receiver welded on would be considered junk by anyone other
than the owner. If it was heat treated and trued afterwards then reblued with the
receipts I wouldn't be afraid of it.

When you say bed the mount do you mean glass bed?And if so don't that make a real mess.I agree once a action has been welded no one would want it.That is why I said If I did use weld DO NOT WELD THE MOUNT TO THE ACTION.But instead only tack the screw to the scope BASE...Then all could be removed at whitch time one desired to sell or change mounts. I think for my needs this new one piece mount I just ordered will do just fine for my shooting needs.I don't see why the gun makers do not make some of there rifles with the scope base machined as one with a scope base.

There are plenty of guns with machined-in rails. AR-15s, for example.

Loctite works just as well to secure the screws. Why weld in that case? The advantage of the JB Weld method is that you're no longer relying on screw tension providing friction.

I agree with those who have said it is not a good idea. A really good welder could probably do it, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to avoid adding stress to the receiver.

However, there is a good reason for a base that is made on to the receiver........ I have just experienced a problem with my 338 Kahn where the recoil stresses from the brake were causing the rail/rings to shift. I ended up having to put 3 1/8" tool steel pins through the base into the receiver and used 2 sets of rings to solve the problem. According to Kirby (Fiftydriver) JB Weld and other epoxy glues do not provide adequate shear strength and would be only a short term solution at best for this type of problem. On his very extreme rifles (ie 338 AM) Kirby said he pins the rail as well as uses two sets of rings as part of a normal build because of the high stress from these very intense rounds.

The good news for most is that unless you are shooting a very intense round with a brake this step is not needed. Just screws and Locktite and bedding the rail with JB Weld is always a good extra measure.

no way i'd try that. i guess maybe with a tig and going slow to keep the heat down. screws work fine. if i wanted a permanently attached scope base, i'd go with a custom action that has the base milled into the receiver.

elaborate , there is no reason give to why this should not be done

You signed on for 1 min to ask this question. lol

Warp the receiver, stuck with whatever rings you have, cant move them to accommodate other scope lengths, cause heat treat issues on the receiver.

Yes, I know, zombie thread.

Didn't Carl weld his bases to his receiver? We should ask him to see out it worked out.

Didn't Carl weld his bases to his receiver? We should ask him to see out it worked out.

I don't know, but I did. It turned out great!

13221C26-D07A-4A23-95FB-9EF060D5D367.jpeg