scope alignment

Screwey1

I had a rem action squared and new barrel attached. Got rifle back and mounted scope. I can visibly see that the front of the scope is to the left of the front of the barrel. After bore-sighting, and I am pretty good at this, I find my scope that has a total of 67 minutes of left to right travel, has only 7 of those minutes to the left, and 60 to the right.
I have a 20MOA rail as a base and tactical rings, so there isn't any room for adjustment in this area.
I own a set of Leupold double dovetail mounts that will allow me to adjust, but then I lose the 20MOA.
I also have a level/inclinometer attached to the 20MOA base that I don't really want to lose.
I know what my obvious options are, but I am looking for options that I may be missing. Is there a way to correct this without giving up my tactical base/ring set-up,
or must I bite the bullet and give up my 20MOA elevation?

I had the same problem recently, only it was the other way around. Dual Dovetails pointed the scope off to the right, all the way to the end of the windage adjustment. Installed a "rail" and the the adjustment centered. I don't see how Dual Dovetails can be windage or elevation adjustable.

Assuming the action was trued properly....the correct solution would be to have your action's base screw threads opened up to 8-40s on center. In addition i would bed the 20 MOA rail.

I originally purchased this Rem 700 as a deer rifle many years back and had the scope mounted when I purchased by the dealer. In trying to figure this out, I retrieved the original mounts and inspected to find that the rear, windage adjustable was set off center. Never noticed this before because I was only shooting a few hundred yards. What this means to me is that the receiver had been drilled off center at the factory. That being said, it is painfully obvious to me that I can not use the 20MOA base and ring set that I currently have.
Does anyone know of a 20MOA base / ring combination that is windage adjustable so I don't have to give up on my 20MOA dream?

Assuming the action was trued properly....the correct solution would be to have your action's base screw threads opened up to 8-40s on center. In addition i would bed the 20 MOA rail.

Is drilling the edge of a hole in the receiver even possible?

Try a competent gunsmith. Had a smith redrill an old Mauser action a few years ago. Excellent job for $45 including screws if I recall correctly. Good luck

So, I messed around with this a bunch last night and again today. Turns out the screw holes are not off center. Ran straight edge through center of holes and they are centered with the barrel. Mounted rail, leveled rear of rail, put level on front of rail and found that it was not level. This leads me to believe that the milling on the top of the receiver is poor. Placed shim under left side of rail and tightened down again. This time , level in rear and front. I took some sandpaper , pretty rough grit to the right side of the rail and worked it for awhile. After removing a bit of metal I set it back on, tightened the screws and it was a lot more level than before. After several tries, I got it extremely close, mounted scope and re-boresighted. I now have 25 minutes to the left and 43 to the right. I believe this to be as close as I want to mess with. The scope is no longer visibly off center.
I do question bedding the rail as I think with my sanding, it's probably a good idea. Is this done pretty much the same as bedding an action?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.