Scope advice requested: Nikon, Super Sniper, Leupold

zingdingo

I'm approaching my first scope dilemma in a little while, and I see the need for another scope as an opportunity to try in person one of the exceptional products I've heard about, I just want to make sure that I get something that will best fit my needs.

I have a 6.5-284 on order from Kirby right now, I anticipate its arrival sometime this winter. While it should be a very nice custom gun, due to my financial position (I'm a student without a job) the projects budget is particularly tight. In the past year I've been scanning these boards, a couple of scopes have consistently come up whenever long range performance for the money is mentioned. The two I have probably seen the most praise for, esp. recently, are the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 SF and the Super Sniper fixed power scopes (the 16x seems to me to be the most appropriate of the three for my situation).

With this gun I plan on doing shooting practice (I'm somewhat green to the whole precision shooting game and am looking forward to a rifle I can count on as an accurate platform off of which I can improve technique), long range groundhog hunting (the goal for next summer is to stretch my p.r. from 600 yards to 1000), a little long range deer hunting (I live on a crop farm which needs some crop damage control deer taken throughout the year), and just maybe some type of long range or groundhog shoot (I live in southwest PA and I know there are a variety of shoots within a few hours drive.)

I currently have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 LR with side focus on my .22-250. I like this scope with two exceptions. 1st, it takes a very long time for me to feel that I have adequately dialed out the parallax. 2nd, it does not have turrets, just low plastic finger adjustable clicks. Taking the Leupold off of the .22-250 and putting it on the 6.5, and then putting the new scope on the .22-250 (which will be relegated to sub 500 yard chuck hunting, and maybe some coyote hunting) is also an option I'm considering.

Which of the scopes I have mentioned (or any outstanding ones I haven't in a similar price range) do you think would be best suited to this guns tasks? Which do you feel might have the most consistent clicks? Have you had any trouble dialing out parallax with either of these?

Sorry for the long post, but I felt their were a lot of issues to cover. Hopefully this can lead to some successful long range hunting stories next summer. Thanks a lot in advance, I have learned an enormous amount of invaluable information by visiting this forum.

I'm a Leupy man, but I won't knock the Nikon. They are coming on strong and seem to have glass that is on par w/the Leupies.

As far as the SS goes, I would stay away. They are a good scope for the money, but I have looked through some and don't feel that I would be satisfied w/the glass.

If it was me, I would buy the Nikon, put it on my 250, then send the Leupy off to Premeir or Leupy's custom shop and have turrets fitted and then stick it on my 6.5.

I have had no trouble w/the parallax on my Leupies. With that said, I do like the 50 mm better than the 40 mm that you have. The eye relief seems much more critical on the 40 mm.

Just my .02.

zingdingo,
I agree with Bill, but would do it slightly differently.
I would leave your 6.5-20x40 where it is and concentrate on the scope for 6.5-284, maybe fitting target turrets at a later date.

For your 6.5, i would go out and buy a 6.50-20 or a 8.5-25x50 LRT with the Varmint hunters reticle, i have the 6.5 and its superb.
Your rifle deserves the best optics you can afford and its worth going that extra hog for a Leupold.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Centre Punch,

I would like to put another leupy on this rifle, but I'm not working right now because I'm going to college, and I'm just living off of savings from the summer. If I buy leupold for it, I might not have enough left for dies, bullets, and brass. They have also gone up 10% in price (at least at bruno's) since I bought mine last winter. I've managed to put the rifle together for a total cost of around $1200, figured at the beginning I could pull the project off if I kept the bill to around $1500.

If you know of anywhere I could pick up a LR leupy for ~300, I would love to hear about it (as I'm sure would the 5000 odd other guys on this forum).

What I maybe should consider doing is to put the Leupold I have now on the gun Kirby's building, leave my .22-250 in the rack for a while, and wait until I graduate and get a job this spring, then purchase a proper scope. Although I had kind of had my eye on an allen mag for my first purchase after I get a real job.

Thank you for your reply.

Bill,

Have you ever had turrets installed by either Premier or Leupold? Just wondering about cost, turnaround, and end product satisfaction.

Interesting what you mentioned about the eye relief as compared to the 50mm objective model, thats a good snippet of information to file for future reference.

Thank you for your reply, and for all the stories with pics this year, they have been a blast to read.

zing,
Unless you are really attached to it, have you considered parting with your 22-250, the funds raised from its sale together with your $300, could put a very nice scope on your 6.5-284, you could then justify the Allen Mag when you have graduated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Centre Punch,

It has crossed my mind, but I don't think I could part with it. Its the gun with which my presicion/long range shooting odyessy began, plus it was a gift from my parents. I've spent to many hours working on it, fire lapped the barrel, adjusted the trigger, bedded the action and free floated the barrel. Also made some 30mm ring alighing rods for it on the lathe at my school. I have alot of sweat into it and it's paid off as most of the 100 yard groups I've shot with it recently have been 0.5" or less. Plus, I still want something on the lighter caliber end of the scale. One day (in about a year if I keep shooting it at this rate) the barrel will get burnt out, and I'll have it rebarreled, not sure to what caliber. Good idea though, I have considered selling my single six to help with the funds, but my buyer fell thru.

Thanks for the advice,
Carl

No, I've never had it done but I think the turnaround time at the custom shop is about 2 weeks.

Email me w/some model #s and I can shoot you some prices. We can save you a little money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Almost forgot, [email protected]

Send scope to premier for M1 turrets (around 175), buy Badger bases for both rifles (300) and 1 set 30mm Badger rings (130). With Badger, you can swap scopes and not be off by more than 1/2 moa. Record the difference between the rifles when you swap the scope and its simple. Save your money and get the scope you really want, not the one you can afford now, IMHO.

Bill,

Email sent, thanks.

JimD,

That is an interesting solution, the Badger base idea. If I used my guns a little bit differently I'd definately consider it. The reason I don't think it would work as well in my situation is that I want my rifles to be ready to go at a moments notice. Most of my hunting throughout the year comes when I see something at work and decide to run home for the appropriate gun and see what I can do. I'm lucky enough to be able to hunt long range a fair amount right out of my house (out to ~525 yards for deer, turkeys, and groundhogs) but it somewhat changes how I deal with my firearms, as I always want them at the ready. I feel having to change scopes before I could go after an animal who's location I knew might be prohibitive. On the other hand, last week I did have to load some shells up between seeing some deer and taking them.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Carl

Send the Leupold to Premier and have turrets installed. Then get the Nikon(its really a great scope) and decide which you like better for the 6.5/284. Both the Buckmaster and the Super Sniper are good scopes with repeatable adjustments. The SS used to be my go to scope in the $300 range before the new Nikons, and it still is for "tactical" rigs but for hunting guns the Nikon will probably serve you better.

Hey Zing I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the mix.That 22-250 Keep it. Send it to kirby and have him turn it into a 22-250AI I get 2 to 300FPS more than a standard.Plus minimal case stretching. Last weekend I shot a yote with it. Blew a big chunk out of chest cavity,she was dead before she hit the ground. Oh hey scopes I've heard great things about the Nikons also. Don't forget about Burris either,mine is awesome.

Bill,

I re-sent the email, let me know if you don't get it, maybe I'm getting filtered out with spam for some reason, although I suspect its just a glitch in our schools email system, its not the most reliable.

Charles,

That is what I'm leaning twords most right now, although I may have the turrents installed later rather than sooner. Also worried if I go with Premier turrets that I might void my Leupold warrenty, does anyone know if this is the case?

Iron Worker,

Thats definately a chambering I'll be considering when the time comes, along with a 6br or one of its improved variants. Out of curiosity, what bullet did you use on that coyote, and what was the range?

Thanks everyone,
Carl

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.