Scope advice for 16" Grendel AR build.

Campower

Hello gents!!*

I recently finished my 16" lightweight 6.5 Grendel AR build and I need to replace the Redfield Revolution TAC currently on top of it.

I own all kind of different brand optics, but for this dedicated hunting rig I'm commited to a <$500 leupold. I've narrowed my selection down to a XV2 2-7x33, XVR-2-7x33, and XV3i 3.5-10x40.

I've done everything possible to reduce weight oin the build, so I would like to keep that mindset in regards to the optic as well. It will be sitting on a Aero Precision ultralight mount.

Low light is a consideration, and seeing as how my wife and young kids will be using it as well, eye relief is also a concern. I live in the northern too of Maine, and there is no way I can get my hands on these optics without a 4 hour drive.

All of my other optics include target turrets, and I've never bit in to the CDS system before, but seeing as how this will be a 400 yard TOPS hunting setup, and I've already calibrated the exact drop of my handloads out to 600 yards in 50 yard increments, I believe out to my 400 yard hunting limit it will do just fine.

Anyone who has their hands on these scopes opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I own NF, Vortex, Zeiss, Leupold and other brands, like them all for what they are but I'm commited to the three specific models I've mentioned, so I would like to keep the brand wars to a minimum.

Hello gents!!*

I recently finished my 16" lightweight 6.5 Grendel AR build and I need to replace the Redfield Revolution TAC currently on top of it.

I own all kind of different brand optics, but for this dedicated hunting rig I'm commited to a <$500 leupold. I've narrowed my selection down to a XV2 2-7x33, XVR-2-7x33, and XV3i 3.5-10x40.

I've done everything possible to reduce weight oin the build, so I would like to keep that mindset in regards to the optic as well. It will be sitting on a Aero Precision ultralight mount.

Low light is a consideration, and seeing as how my wife and young kids will be using it as well, eye relief is also a concern. I live in the northern too of Maine, and there is no way I can get my hands on these optics without a 4 hour drive.

All of my other optics include target turrets, and I've never bit in to the CDS system before, but seeing as how this will be a 400 yard TOPS hunting setup, and I've already calibrated the exact drop of my handloads out to 600 yards in 50 yard increments, I believe out to my 400 yard hunting limit it will do just fine.

Anyone who has their hands on these scopes opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I own NF, Vortex, Zeiss, Leupold and other brands, like them all for what they are but I'm commited to the three specific models I've mentioned, so I would like to keep the brand wars to a minimum.

Speaking from experience, get a 1-4 to 1-8 with capped turrets. Missed a beautiful buck because my elevation turret spun an entire revolution while hunting and I didn't catch the mistake. Also makes hitting running hogs easier to pick up on 1 power. Currently running a 1-6 on mine.

I would go with the 3.5-10x40 if you plan to hunt in low light. My VX3i 4.5-14x40 is much, much better in low light than my 2-7x33 that used to sit on my coyote rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.