Scope Advice and Opinions

jasonprox700

This is not really for a "long range" gun, but I still need opinions and advice anyway. I have my long range needs covered with my .280, 7mm RUM, and .338 WM (for now!). I have another gun I use for my close in stuff. It is a DPMS AP4 in .308. Basically, it is an AR-15 on steroids. Right now, I have a red dot sight with a 2moa dot. I like it for doing deer drives and for close and fast action. But after using it last year for stand and still hunting, I realized I still like a scope.

I would like something on the low end of power with good clarity and preferably a lighted reticle (I plan on using this for black bear this fall). It also needs to be under $400. The one scope that I think fits the bill perfectly for me is the Burris Signature Select 1.5x6x40mm LRS. It gives me the low power that I need, but it also has enough high end magnification to let me dial in for longer shots or trying to pick my shot through the woods on standing or slow walking animals.

What do you think of this scope? I know some people like Burris, others hate them. I myself like them. I have two other Burris's that I am extremely happy with. Any other recommendations?

Burris Signature Select 1.5x6x40mm LRS

Last edited:
I don't hate any scope I just prefer some over others and the Burris scopes have a place
in my collection of rifles because of toughness and cost.

I have trashed every scope I placed on one of my pistols until I placed a Burris on it and
It has survived many years and rounds at over 70 ft/lbs of recoil. This beast sheared scope
rings faster than I could replace them until I went with a 4 ring setup.

I like the top end Leupold's for my long range rifles because of light gathering and other
features.

But on my dangerous game rifles I use the Burris Safari scopes because of that same toughness
and they have an extra 1" of eye relief. Also you can lock down the turrets after you get it
sighted in and it will not move under extreme recoil.

There are a lot of good scopes out there and just as many bad ones so it becomes mostly a
matter of choice.

But you cant go wrong with the right Burris for the job.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.