Scope adjustment help

Dragonscout

Need some input from old hands...Just picked up a LH 700 in .270 that came with one of the old Redfield Gunsight single post scopes. It doesn't have click adjustments. Seems like a friction type. Can't find any literature on these scopes. Can anyone tell me where to find some info or school me on this? Thanks in advance for any help....

I once owned an old Weaver like this. Should say on the dials what the adjustment value is i.e. 1/4 or 1/8 MOA. And the only difference from there is you just have to pay closer attention to them when you make and adjustment. The same as counting clicks but watching the reference point for where you start and adjust using the degree lines on the dials. Elevation turns left (counter clock wise) to raise. And windage turns left (or towards you, counter clock wise) to go right.

So this is in fact an infinitely adjustable, but not necessarily repeatable scope? The scope is crystal clear and I'm a fan of the single post, but it sure is frustrating not to be able any type of instructions on it...

No scope is infinitely adjustable. They ALL have limitations. Some more than others. If something is "wrong" with the mounting i.e. (base(s), action screw hole alignment, action height difference from front to back where bases attach i.e. requiring bedding the bases, ring height/alignment, etc) Then you could be forever battling getting a good zero (POA/POI). What are the adjustment increments on the scope? 1/4? 1/8? or ? The rest is just shoot it with your chosen over the shelf load, or reload to get the most from the gun. We are usually the weakest link in the chain of accuracy. I take it that the scope is a fixed power? Does it have a focus (not to be confused with parallax) adjustment? (ocular lense the end you look into) will have an ability to turn in and out and likely lock into place, as that will allow you to sharpen/clear up the look of the post. Other than that they are as basic and simple as a scope gets.
Good shootin!

Have you tried calling Redfield? 877-798-9686
Their customer support is legendary.
I have a couple of old friction adjust Leupolds, they work just fine.
I think "infinitely adjustable" means that tweaks of less that what would be a click are possible.
Repeatability, i.e. chasing the POA around a square via the adjustments, might be a lot to expect of it.
Find the point blank range for your cartridge in a manual or software, sight it in for that, and call it good.

Appreciate the feedback! Yes Stokey and Pit, I misspoke on the ability for "infinite adjustment". I meant that not having definitive clicks is something I haven't come across yet. The click "value" is on a sticker inside one of the turret caps. The scope itself is a 3x9, rear focusing, single post. The marks are clearly dilineated on the turrets. Just no clicks. I don't want to burn too many rounds till I find out as much as possible on the scope. And I'm the kind of guy that once sighted in, leaves the optics alone. Shooting in the Army was not much different for me since I only took shots out to 800 yards. Budget cuts in the 70's in my unit meant scout/snipers took lots of KD time. Most of the time the 500 KD range were the best days of the year. Now my shots don't surpass 500, so it's a moot point as I've always been pretty consistent with "kentucky windage" for bullet drop on any given caliber....But still wanna find out the most I can to make this ol' gal sing her best!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.