Scoop on Swift Soccori Bullet

roughneck

Anyone had any problems (other thn price) with the 90 gr. 6mm Swift Soccori bullet?

I know it may not work with "MY" rifle, but I want to make sure it's decent before I give it a go.

Texaslightbulb

Anyone had any problems (other thn price) with the 90 gr. 6mm Swift Soccori bullet?

I know it may not work with "MY" rifle, but I want to make sure it's decent before I give it a go.

Texaslightbulb

This may be of some benefit, but maybe not...I have no experience with the 6mm. I do however, have experience with the .277 130 grain, .284 150 grain, and 150, 165, and 180 thirty caliber Sciroccos.

First, they are a picky bullet, pure lead, pure copper. It can be difficult to find a load, but once you do, they are impressively accurate. They are excellent hunting bullets and have impressed me at several hundred yards and up close on bear shoulders at 8 yards. I have never recovered one. Almost every black bear I've killed was with a Scirocco.

I would shoot them again, but about a year ago, I decided to streamline my bench and sold them all. My focus is on Bergers, Barnes, and Noslers and it is personal choice only.

I use the 6.5 130 in my 6.5 x 284 and as the previous poster mentioned, they are a very picky bullet but once you find the right powder they are wicked accurate and effective on big game.

sU37,

Thanks for the feedback.. It trust that they are good on big game, be because while remington loads crappy ammo, its always coupled with the best of hunting bullets....At least they try in that dept.

I think I'll just call Swift up and get a jumping off point from them. Thanks.

Groups sizes from the 6.5?

Tex

700 Ti in 6.5x284

IMG_3824.jpg

I like the 130's in my 270WSM. I'm also working on the 90's in my 6/284 and it looks very promising. Last time at the range resulted in .5moa groups with my test loads. Hope to improve on that if possible.

I built a new rifle arround the 150gn scirocco and sectioned one for a wall display and found a big void (.287x.104) and weighed most of the rest of the box and found a 5gn (thats five whole grains weight) difference. Nothing else in my 7mm selection went more than .4gn. Emailed Swift but have had no response. Would never use the swift in any form now. I would look at the alternatives. I got an excellent 160gn Woodleigh heavy game load. A 168gn Berger VLD long range load and a 139gn sst light game load. Couldn't be happier.

Von Gruff.

I have to agree with most of the rest of the folks. I was dead set on using the Scirocco bullets in my new 300RUM several years ago and I did eventually settle on a load a mere couple of weeks before deer season. They are an extremely picky bullet and the powder type and amount made huge differences in accuracy. I did shoot 4 deer with 4 shots that year and none of them took a step, but the development is a pain.

We got my wife a 260Rem and I again used the Scirocco for it. After trying about 4 different powders I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with the rifle. I finally decided to switch bullets and went with a Nosler and within a few weeks I was getting close to a load and within a month I had one down that consistently shot under .5 moa. I spent an entire summer trying to get the Scirocco's to shoot well.

I have since switched to Combined Technology bullets in my 300RUM and again the load development was very short and the accuracy was much better again than the Swift bullets. Once again I can't complain with the CT bullets either because I took another 3 deer cleanly last fall again.

My recommendation is use with caution that you could spend a lot of time and go through a lot of different powders to find a load that works with these bullets.

Or... you could call swift and get a starter load like I have done. Already rocking .681 or better and I'm on my first powder and seating depth. Velocities out of a 22 in. krieger hittin 3220.

I love the true weight of the CT, but I can't get them to shoot, and I'm not a fan of the low BCs. I guess its to each his own. They sure look cool tho.

Texas

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.