Scirocco or Accubond

300winnie

Out of curiosity, what would be your preference of bullet from past experience, forum feedback, etc. Assume a muzzle velocity of 3100+.

300 winnie,

I would go with the Accubond for overall performance.
I have used the 7mm 160 gr AB in 280 AI and 338 225 gr AB in 338 RUM with fantastic accuracy. Expansion and penetration in water jugs from 50 yds to 300 yds has been quite impressive.
On game performance looks impressive but I have not had an opportunity to find out first hand yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Regards,

JD338

I chose the accubond. I've used the 140 in my 7 saum at over 3000 f.p.s. with excellent results on deer. I would assume that the 180 would be as good or better.

I chose the Scirocco. I lost a mule deer after shooting it with a 140 AB from a 270 at only 50 yards. We tracked and trailed it for 3 hours. We kept jumping it and ultimately watched it go over a hillside about 3/4 mile away. I hit it perfectly, knocking it on its ***. But when my brother showed up about 5 minutes later, we were approaching what I thought would be a deader'n hell deer only to find it jump up and run off.

I still use the 200 AB from a 300 RUM as well as a 180 Scirocco. I've killed one black bear with the 180 Scriocco from my .06 which I think I mentioned before on another thread at less than 10 yards and it blew right through the shoulders dropping the bear intantly.

Both are great bullets and after talking with the lady at Swift, I'll be trying the new Scirocco II very soon.

Also, and sorry if this is a repeat, but on the Barnes TSX DVD, they demonstrate the ballistic gel damage from all of the bullets tested and the Scirocco was very impressive, a 180 from the 300WM.

But, the AB is much easier to get to group quicker in my experience.

I shoot a .30-.378 weatherby mag. I have used both accubond and Scirocco bullets. Both loads are 180 grain bullets with 100 grains of IMR7828. I was curious to see which bullet would penetrate and retain shape and weight. I had a box of computer paper put it out at 100 yards and shoot into the middle I thought the bullet would get stuck in the reams of paper. Wrong! I followed a fine paper trail until it went into the dirt backstop. I got both bullets out. The Scirocco was a perfect mushroom with a stem on it. It retained 74 percent of its original weight on it. Next was the Accubond same thing blew right through the second box and into the dirt backstop. After digging out the accubond it wasn't quite a perfect mushroom and when weighing it it retained 73 percent of its weight. Both bullets shoot extremely accurate in my weatherby if I was to go by looks I would choose the Scirocco but they both work so well I use both. But when I go bear hunting I use Aframes and have recovered a bullet that retained 96 percent of its orginal weight. Both tests were done with only one bullet not a really good test but I was just curious to see which expanded the best.

Take Care Aaron

I have used both bullets with excellent results. A 180 Scirroco from my 300 WBY took a BIG mulie buck a few years ago at a little over 200 yds. He was beginning to move quickly from my right to left and the shot hit him in the facing shoulder, penetrated the body cavity exploding all the plumbing and pneumatic works there, and continued on through the off shoulder and was found in a large lump just under the skin. It retained 72% of its original weight. The buck hit the hillside like he had been hit by chained lightening.......I guess maybe he had. I have used the Accubond in my 257 WBY and my 7RM with great results. No bullets recovered however. I have also had similar results shooting the Hornady Interbond. I picked the Accubond however because I'm miffed at Swift because they still haven't brought out their 25 cal. Scirroco and because I believe the Accubond my cause a LITTLE less copper fouling.
Happy New Year and Good Shooting
Jim

I am shooting the accubond in a 300 win mag and 7mm-08. Nothing has taken a step when shot with this setup.

Archer

I went with the Scirocco. Compared to the AB, I consider the Swift bullet superior both in accuracy and terminal ballistics compared to the AB. I've never experienced an animal wondering off into the bush after being hit with the Scirocco, unlike the AB which appears to have mixed reviews based on personal accounts.
My first choice of any hunting bullet with a MV over 3000 fps would be a Barnes TSX for ultimate performance. One ragged hole 3-shot groups at 100 yds, and incredible penetration with minimum meat destruction often resulting in one-shot kills. And if you're shooting at distances over 500-yds, the Berger bullets are exceptional.

I shot the 168 in my 300 but in another barnes bullet and it shot incredible. I went away from it bacause it was a coated bullet. May have to get some of these and try them again. I have a 5 shot group I shot with that round that was .3 CTC.

Archer

I would pick the AB only because I have shot them a lot more and actually field tested them. The scirocos didn't get to make it to field testing because they weren't as accurate. I was testing the 165g in my 300 RUM. I ended up using the 200g AB and have been more then happy. I have shot a spike and a 5x5 bull at 513 yards with very impressive performance. Along with exceptional accuracy. I have shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at 525 yards with the 200g out of my 300 RUM. I also shoot the 110g AB in my 25-06. Accuracy has been stellar with groups going under .5" at 100, and 3.5-4 inches at 525 yards. I think the accubonds with there high bc's, and ability to shoot accurately and still penetrate deeply, and expand at long range make them an awesome bullet. I too am kinda mad at swift for not bringing out a .257" sciroco. I would try it in my 25-06 thats for sure, but I hope they make a 115g or 120g version so the BC is higher then .418 or so for the AB.

Archeryelk, The new 168 Triple Shock is shooting better than the old XLC with the same lower pressure. Works great in the 300 WSM my friends use for everything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 168 TSX is one of my favorite bullets. I've killed a lot of game with that bullet from a 30.06. The TSX is the most accurate hunting bullet I've ever loaded. I loaded the same bullet for a friend in his 300 SAUM as well as my brother's. Varget in 1 and IMR4350 in the other. Incredible accuracy and one shot kills. One caribou was taken at 396 which dumped it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.