School Me on long range in General

BLASERMAN

I have not done much long range Shooting or hunting. My longest shot is 425 yrds with a standard hunting rifle , with hand loads.
I am waiting on Glen Seekin to finish my rail mount for my Blaser.I am putting
together a 7 mm STW 26" barrel and am using Richards 150 ULD RBBT bullets that if I am correct figure out at about 760 BC.
Now my questions are , do Weighing cases, Turning necks, specific Primers,
brand of cases ect matter . I see this on the net all over shooters talking about all this helps in acuracy. I see things like jumping the Lands and seating out to the Lands. Are these thing that one needs to do as trial and error to see what works best or all of the above.
Like most others I would like the rifle to shoot as best it can and then I will try to do my part. I would like to take Shawns Corse but I am not ready equipment wise yet.

Hey Blaserman. Iam new to this site but have been doing some longrange shooting for awhile. Sounds like your putting together a nice rifle. As for some of your questions, I dont sort brass or bullets by weight or turn necks or anything like that. I leave that to all the benchrest guys in competition. I believe in loading the best rounds I can using the best components and finding what the rifle likes then shooting alot. I dont want to spend time turning necks when I could be at the range or out hunting. But building your own ammo can achieve great accuracy results with out that other extra work and I have had great results. As for seating bullets into the lands I dont. I usually get my OAL on a stoney point OAL guage and seat to .020 back off the lands. I feel it gives me a consistant starting point without having to use the bolt to cam the bullet into the chamber. And in hunting situations it works smooth and I dont worry about the bullet stuck in the rifling being pulled out a little if unloading and increasing the OAL of the case. Just a few thoughts, hope they help. By the way, the 7 STW can be finicky with bullet weights and types of powder. In my experience it seems to perform best when loaded to its potential. Its a thoroughbred, let'er run !

Sounds like you'll have a very capable long range set up there. From what I've experienced seperating the cases by weight makes a bigger difference for accuracy than using a high end brand of brass. I use Lapua and Norma brass, but I've shot just as well when using seperated winchester. I spend quite a bit of time on brass prep, I always inspect thuroughly, trim, uniform flash-holes, sort by weight, deburr the neck etc. I haven't messed with the neck-turning yet (although my buddy has a neck turner) because I'm satisfied with my accuracy. If you wanted to neck turn, I'd recomend having your chamber cut with a tight-neck.

Bullet seating is something you must test. Some bullets like Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady are "jump tollerant" I usually seat these around .020" off the lands, but you can usually jump further without accuracy loss. For Bergers and Scenars I usually end up a .010" or closer, they don't like to jump for me. I first develop the load (usually figured on Optimal Charge Weight theory) and then experiment with seating depth to get the best accuracy possible with a given combination. You may want to experiment with OCW loading. Here's a 10 shot group from two different loads (5 rounds each) one had 44.8gr Varget and the other was 45.1gr Varget behind a 155gr Lapua Scenar (308 win).

005-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

Not stunning but it's pretty good considering there's two different loads.

The Wildcat 150 grain has a .760 BC? If so, it should be "the" long range bullet for 7mms!

For smaller 7mm's it would do a good job even though there are several bullets as good or better but......

If you have the proper barrel and the horsepower to push it, THE bullet for a 7mm, in my opinion, would be the Wildcat 200 grain ULD RBBT, at least until the new AT bullets come out.;);)

School Me

I have a 1-9.5 Twist barrel. I am using a Night force 5.5 x 22 Scope
I have alot of testing to do when warmer weather comes. We will see.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.